Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erikinbend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2023
I've got a newer car that only has usb C connections. I'm trying to connect my old ipod classic (30 pin) to it.
No aux option on car.
Don't want to deal with bluetooth/fm transmitters
I tried a usb regular to usb c converter but the car didn't recognize.
I think I'm out of luck, but maybe someone here has a brilliant work around?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
I've got a newer car that only has usb C connections. I'm trying to connect my old ipod classic (30 pin) to it.
No aux option on car.
I would search the internet based on your model of car and type of entertainment system. Some that have Bluetooth will only connect to phones and not stand alone transmitters. There are FM transmitters that can be hard-wired to the inside end of the radio antenna. That would probably give the best quality but be tricky to install.

xthine

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
USA
Last edited:

Beefbowl

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2021
I wonder if something like this would work?

My iPod classic is connected to my car via USB.

I was looking for that exact cable like three years ago when I still had several 30-pin devices and a new all-USB-C laptop and it was not to be found. I don’t need it any more, but I’m glad to see someone stepped up to fill the niche.

erikinbend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2023
I wonder if something like this would work?

My iPod classic is connected to my car via USB.
That looks promising. Thanks for flagging this, I'll probably give it a try.

Reactions: xthine

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
I've got a newer car that only has usb C connections.
Just to make sure. Your car has multiple USB-C sockets?
Can your system actually connect to external devices on more than one specific port or might the others be charging only? Does the iPod react in any way when connected?
As @philden suggested, knowing the model of the system (and/or car) could clarify things.
Or you just give the suggested cable a try first and this already solves the issue (although it would surprise me as USB is backwards compatible and your adapter should have worked equally).

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
It depends, but in a number of cars we've had, connectivity to the headunit is only accessible via USB inside the center console under the armrest. Manufacturers figure you're going to hide your cable and your device, anyway.

In my Impala, there is also a USB port for connectivity behind the factory radio, which moves up to reveal a deep cubby behind their proprietary headunit similar to the previous Malibu. A rental Mustang we just had also had connectivity via both the console and the USB charger near the shifter.

Pretty sure the Jeep and the Lincoln only power from the center stack USB, and connectivity is only via the storage bin under the armrest. Could be wrong there.

TL,DR; depends on the car.

Reactions: arw

erikinbend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2023
Just to make sure. Your car has multiple USB-C sockets?
Can your system actually connect to external devices on more than one specific port or might the others be charging only? Does the iPod react in any way when connected?
As @philden suggested, knowing the model of the system (and/or car) could clarify things.
Or you just give the suggested cable a try first and this already solves the issue (although it would surprise me as USB is backwards compatible and your adapter should have worked equally).
Yes, multiple usb-c sockets in the new car. I think each is the same and can both charge and in theory play music. Trying to remember how the ipod reacted when I connected it to car via the adapter... I recall it looked like it was connecting and showed the screen as if connected and then stopped and reverted back to normal unconnected screen.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Yes, multiple usb-c sockets in the new car. I think each is the same and can both charge and in theory play music. Trying to remember how the ipod reacted when I connected it to car via the adapter... I recall it looked like it was connecting and showed the screen as if connected and then stopped and reverted back to normal unconnected screen.

So, what is 'the car'? 🥲

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Found some discussion online about an ID.3 - https://www.id3forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=768
There was no success with an iPod classic. One possible solution might be to install Rockbox on the iPod and see if the car will then see the iPod as a USB mass storage device. With Rockbox the music can be stored with standard filenames in a more accessible directory. I'd test the car with a USB stick first. The car manual might tell you if there is a limit to the number of files/directories that can be accessed this way.

Last edited:

blturner

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2011
I also have a 2023 ID4 and I was wondering about this myself recently but had no luck with a USB-A to C converter. It does work with Rockbox installed on the iPod, the device is detected as a USB Mass Storage device and you can browse and navigate using the car's Media player to access music on the device.

I am curious about getting one of those 30 pin to USB-C cables to test if it's something with the way the adapters work that's preventing the stock iPod software from being detected. I plugged in an iPad to the car and was able to use the car's Media player to browse the downloaded music in the Apple Music app (not through carplay). Doesn't mean they didn't rip out iPod support from the car's software anyway, but I'm hopeful it's still hiding in there somewhere.

Reactions: philden

denkly

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2023
From day 1 as i've bought my *cought* first iPod Video, i've wanted to test it in my car. Will it work? So i've got a ZMI USB-USB-C adapter, basic 30PIN from PZOZ and went to do some tests. And... it works! Just deep inside the menu, where you select USB sources. Car is 2021 Skoda Octavia MK4

Attachments

• IMG_4361.jpeg
    IMG_4361.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 345
Reactions: Beefbowl

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
It’s heavily car dependent. I have a 22 Bolt and the usb-A port doesn’t work for an iPod nano. On my 18 Forester, it does. I suspect that the Android Auto infotainment system is the difference.

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
It’s heavily car dependent. I have a 22 Bolt and the usb-A port doesn’t work for an iPod nano. On my 18 Forester, it does. I suspect that the Android Auto infotainment system is the difference.
I assume this only works if you are running Rockbox on the iPod. Only the first two generations of nano can run Rockbox.

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Nope, my stock Nano works perfectly in a 2018 Forester. I have a short USB-A to 30 pin cable, and keep it in the center
Sorry, I didn't spot the reference to years. I suspect a 2018 car is much more likely to fully support an iPod than a 2022 model.

erikinbend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2023
Thanks for all the input. I tried a variety of options. Ultimately I ended up putting all the music on my phone (android) and connect via bluetooth to car. The trick was finding a good app that could handle a lot of mp3 files (80gbs). Youtube music couldn't handle it. Retropod was cool but not compatible with Android Auto, so I ended up using Musicolet which seems to be working great so far, no lag time and an easy connection. Not what I was initially after, but it works.

Deepball84

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2023
No aux option on car.

I connected mine to a rented 2023 Nissan Rogue, it didn’t recognize it, so I got a Bluetooth transmitter.

Tried out a lot of models, all of them had significant connection issues, particularly if your cell phone is connected with Bluetooth, but also when only allowed to connect via USB.
Finally found one I could rely on.

It was quite frustrating to figure the BT out, which is pretty whack for such an old technology, but the most F’ed up part is that now my iPod will only charge in the main USB port of the Nissan Rogue, no matter the cord or power source!!

This could have been avoided by simply providing an aux input. 🤬

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
I have just succeeded in connecting audio via the HDMI port on a 2015 Honda Fit. I found the suggestion on another forum to use an RCA to HDMI converter. This is powered via the USB socket. You need a 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable to connect the iPod, the converter, and an HDMI cable to connect to the car. The adapters are available for conversion in both directions, you need RCA to HDMI, just ignore the composite video input socket. Video display is disabled when driving on the Fit, but audio works fine.

This might work on other cars that have HDMI but no AUX.

80'S Fan

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2024
My classic Ipod works fine on my 2016 BMW M235 Which has type A USB but does not work on my 2024 Volvo S60 Which has Type C USB have bought Type C to 30 pin connector will charge but will not see ipod is there any other way to connect it via bluetooth when ipod does not have the capabilities

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.