Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Friarspoint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2015
I want to record from our band’s mixer to my iPhone 8.

I connected the rca outs on the mixer (Behringer Eurorack Pro RX1202 FX) to an adaptor that has an 3.5mm plug on the other side. I then used the adaptor that came with my iPhone 8 that takes that plug and adapts it to a lightning plug so that I can just plug directly into my iPhone.

But the iPhone doesn't seem to recognize that as an input and only records using the mic, which I don't want.

I have read the the Apple adaptor has an analog-to-digital converter, so it can't be that the iPhone doesn't recognize the analog signal. Any idea how I can do this? Do I need another device and why?

Thanks for whatever help you can provide!

Friarspoint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2015
The adapter is for headphones with a single mic so I don't know if reversing the signal works. I think you probably need something like a Roland GO:MIXER to get what you want.
[doublepost=1528392130][/doublepost]Thank you, Brian, for this suggestion! I will definitely give that a try and see if it works!

BeechFlyer

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2015
Cedar Rapids, IA
I connected the rca outs on the mixer (Behringer Eurorack Pro RX1202 FX) to an adaptor that has an 3.5mm plug on the other side. I then used the adaptor that came with my iPhone 8 that takes that plug and adapts it to a lightning plug so that I can just plug directly into my iPhone.
Here is your first problem. The 3.5mm jack on the adapter which came with your iPhone has four poles (tip-ring-ring-sleeve, or TRRS), whereas an RCA-to-3.5mm has only three (TRS). So they are not really compatible.

The second issue, which may or may not be a bid deal for you, is that you are limited to mono recordings using this input into your phone. For me that would be a deal breaker.

So you need an external device of some sort to collect an analog stereo audio signal and feed it into your iPhone. The Roland GO:MIXER, as suggested by BrianBaughn, is very affordable and can do that. A nice step up if you're looking for better quality would be the Apogee Duet with the optional lightning cable.

Friarspoint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2015
Hey BeechFlyer,

Thank you for the clarification as to what the exact problems are. That really does help a lot. Thank you for the suggestion as to what would fix the problems too. My goals are not very high, that is, I'm not trying to produce anything for public consumption. I just wanted to get a decent recording of our band, minus my guitar which does not go through the PA during rehearsals, so that I can use it for when I practice at home. Everyone but me goes through the PA (and its mixer) during our rehearsals. At gigs, we mic my amp and it also goes through the mixer. So, I guess if I wanted to record our live shows, I should look into the Roland or the Apogee device.

Thank you!

Best,
Scott

Friarspoint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2015
Dear BeechFlyer and BrianBraughn,

In the end, a friend of mine made a adaptor for me. He got an RCA to TRRS cable and he made a gizmo, which is spliced in the middle of it, that has some resistors in it and it converts the stereo signal to mono and it attenuates the signal as well. I then plug that into the adaptor that came with my iPhone 8 and it works perfectly!

The mono is fine with me b/c I'm not looking for consumer grade quality. I just want to use it so that I can practice with it back at my own place. The recordings I got using the mic weren't that clear but this recording is very clear and present! I can definitely use what I got.

If my goals become different than I will look into the Roland thing or the Apogee thing. But we do our serious recordings at studio.

Thank you for helping me think through what the problem was!

All the very best,
Scott

Reactions: BeechFlyer

djcentif

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2018
Here is your first problem. The 3.5mm jack on the adapter which came with your iPhone has four poles (tip-ring-ring-sleeve, or TRRS), whereas an RCA-to-3.5mm has only three (TRS). So they are not really compatible.

The second issue, which may or may not be a bid deal for you, is that you are limited to mono recordings using this input into your phone. For me that would be a deal breaker.

So you need an external device of some sort to collect an analog stereo audio signal and feed it into your iPhone. The Roland GO:MIXER, as suggested by BrianBaughn, is very affordable and can do that. A nice step up if you're looking for better quality would be the Apogee Duet with the optional lightning cable.

What is the best method to use the output of the iPhone 7 to the mixer? We want to use songs on the iPhone for basketball games

BeechFlyer

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2015
Cedar Rapids, IA
What is the best method to use the output of the iPhone 7 to the mixer? We want to use songs on the iPhone for basketball games
I recommend an iOS-compatible audio interface which you then connect to an input on the mixer. Examples worth looking at are the Tascam US-1X2, the Korg plugKEY Mobile MIDI/Audio Interface for iOS, or - a bit more pricey, but also a terrific audio capture device, the Apogee Electronics Duet USB Audio Interface for iPad, Mac & Windows 10. Many other choices available if you do a google search for "iOS audio interface".

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I recommend an iOS-compatible audio interface which you then connect to an input on the mixer.

Why would you need an interface for that? IMO, all you need is a cable with a 1/8" stereo plug for the phone and the proper kind of connection(s) for the input of the mixer. For example, this will give you stero output from the phone if your mixer has 1/4" mono inputs: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...53-3-foot-3.5mm-trs-to-dual-1-4-inch-ts-cable

Can't remember if the iPhone 7 has a headphone jack.... if not, then you will also need a lightning adapter. I used something like this a few months ago for a video shoot with music on my son in law's iPhone. Connected it to a pair of line level inputs on my Zoom F8 8-track field recorder and the audio quality was excellent. I don't see why there would be any advantage to using an "interface" for this, and it will cost much more.

BeechFlyer

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2015
Cedar Rapids, IA
Why would you need an interface for that?
Because djcentif had asked for the best method to do this, not the cheapest.

Doing what you suggests feeds a relatively hot signal (meant for headphones) into the line-in of a mixer - yes, it kind of works, but it's far from perfect. Also, while the DAC built into the Apple lightning-to-3.5mm adapter is pretty good, especially given its price and size, but a good audio interface can do even better.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I suppose you are right, if someone is a very demanding audiophile with very high quality audio files on the phone feeding very expensive speakers. I used a professional recorder/mixer, pro headphones and studio monitors when editing and the results were really good. I seriously doubt that an interface would have made a noticeable difference. Yes, you need to set the volume low on the phone and also use a line level input that can handle the signal. He hasn't told us anything about his "mixer" so it's hard to get too specific with a recommendation.

He said this was going to be used for music during a basketball game. If you feel spending over $100 for an interface is a good investment, then go for it. I seriously doubt that anyone would notice the difference using the $6 cable I suggested. IMO, "best" also needs to take the intended use into consideration. The "best" way to go to the grocery store would be to buy a Mercedes and drive there instead of walking. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.