Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I want to connect my Late 2009 MacMini to an old HD Ready TV Display that has the ports available as seen in the pic.
What do u think? Might i have any issues with the HD Ready resolution that the Display offers? What kind of an adapter will i need?

Attachments

• lg_24mt49s-pz_2_1.jpg
    lg_24mt49s-pz_2_1.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 190

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
It’s difficult to say for certain without knowing the TV/display’s specs/features. If the two ports on the middle-right are HDMI, you’ll need a cable such as this for the video:
For audio, you could try the following cable connected from the Mac mini’s headphone port to the composite audio jacks (red and white below the RGB)
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Stereo/dp/B01D5H8M18/
However, I’m doubting the TV will allow such a passthrough. Therefore, you may need to connect the Mac mini to external speakers if you also want sound.

Perhaps/hopefully someone who has used a 2009 Mac mini can shed some personal experience and suggestions.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
However, I’m doubting the TV will allow such a passthrough. Therefore, you may need to connect the Mac mini to external speakers if you also want sound.
Why do you think so?

One thing troubling me is the HDready resolution that the tv allows. Might it be a bad resolution as far as quality is concerned for a desktop computer?

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
You’ll need to check the TV’s manual/user guide. In my experience, a port would must be specifically noted for use with PCs for alternate audio input to be available — HDMI typically expects audio through the HDMI cable. I’ve primarily seen the alternate audio input option on TVs with VGA ports but sometimes a TV/monitor will have one HDMI port dedicated as such. Unfortunately, to me, it appears those audio jacks are probably reserved for the composite input. I could be mistaken though.

EDIT: As far as I’m aware, old computers can’t/don’t send audio through video ports (e.g., DVI, DP). Therefore, you’ll need more than the DP to HDMI cable no matter what if you want sound output beyond the mini’s built-in speaker.

Last edited:

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
One thing troubling me is the HDready resolution that the tv allows. Might it be a bad resolution as far as quality is concerned for a desktop computer?
No TV(-type monitor) is optimum for PC use (i.e., expected viewing distances are much different). In other words, yes, your experience won’t be anything near the 5K 27” iMac, for example.

At the moment, I’m using a FHD (1080p) 27” monitor and there is a lack of crispness, I admit. I do intend to replace it with a 32” UHD (4K) model to improve the text and UI clarity. Even so, it will only be ~48% pixel density increase.

You can do comparison calculations and such using this tool:

Ultimately, satisfaction is subjective. Some people are completely fine with a 27” FHD display and others feel anything less than 6K at 30” is unacceptable, for example.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
How about an AppleTV and use AirPlay? A used ATV3 should be quite cheap and will give you audio+video over HDMI. You could use a direct ethernet connection from the Mini to the ATV or wifi (the ATV3 has 100 base-T ethernet). Don't know how well that would meet your needs, just a suggestion of something you might not have thought of.

Would not be a good solution if you plan to use that TV as a computer monitor for everyday stuff, but not a bad way to watch movies, etc.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Im just trying to make use of my late2009 mac mini and the old LG24" lcd tv i have by using them together to make a computer... with some quality drawbacks of course. But i do not want to make any more purchases and waste more money like purchasing an AppleTV.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
You'll need a Displayport to HDMI cable but will not get audio (because the 2009 mini cannot output audio via Displayport).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.