Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nmaxcom

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
So here's the dealio!

I have an iPad Pro 13.2 (12.9inch, 2nd generation says here), my daily work tool is an MBP 15" 2017 and my cellphone is a Galaxy with Android.

In the living room, I have a regular projector, with HDMI and other ports to connect to (VGA I guess) and bluetooth Speakers. I usually connect my Android cellphone via HDMI cable to the projector and from there too, bluetooth to the Speakers. For a movie or youtube.

I'd love to get rid of the annoying cable. I thought one of those wireless HDMI would come in handy. But the more I read, the less I know about compatibilities and features. Plus, some articles are 1, 2 or more years old and I don't know if there are relevant changes.

What should I buy, that will allow me to connect my iPad wirelessly to my projector (I hope simultaneously bluetooth to the speakers is not a problem) and, dreaming big, ALSO be able to use that with Android some other time?

To make it clear, the priority is for all of this to work with my iPad. If I can only have that, so be it. If there's a device that will also work with android, that'd be a treat, but it's not a rigid necessity.

So, my dear colleagues, what gadget?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
So here's the dealio!

I have an iPad Pro 13.2 (12.9inch, 2nd generation says here), my daily work tool is an MBP 15" 2017 and my cellphone is a Galaxy with Android.

In the living room, I have a regular projector, with HDMI and other ports to connect to (VGA I guess) and bluetooth Speakers. I usually connect my Android cellphone via HDMI cable to the projector and from there too, bluetooth to the Speakers. For a movie or youtube.

I'd love to get rid of the annoying cable. I thought one of those wireless HDMI would come in handy. But the more I read, the less I know about compatibilities and features. Plus, some articles are 1, 2 or more years old and I don't know if there are relevant changes.

What should I buy, that will allow me to connect my iPad wirelessly to my projector (I hope simultaneously bluetooth to the speakers is not a problem) and, dreaming big, ALSO be able to use that with Android some other time?

To make it clear, the priority is for all of this to work with my iPad. If I can only have that, so be it. If there's a device that will also work with android, that'd be a treat, but it's not a rigid necessity.

So, my dear colleagues, what gadget?

The Apple TV. You can then stream content via AirPlay, or mirror your iPad display via airplay mirroring.

The third gen Apple TV still works fine for this purpose, though it’s no longer being sold by Apple. You should still be able to find it on sale somewhere. Or go with the current one being sold by Apple.

A bit pricey, especially if you opt for the 4K version, but I find that Apple’s homegrown solution still works best.

nmaxcom

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
The Apple TV. You can then stream content via AirPlay, or mirror your iPad display via airplay mirroring.

The third gen Apple TV still works fine for this purpose, though it’s no longer being sold by Apple. You should still be able to find it on sale somewhere. Or go with the current one being sold by Apple.

A bit pricey, especially if you opt for the 4K version, but I find that Apple’s homegrown solution still works best.

Thanks for answering! I don't know if Apple TV works with android or windows devices. Funny enough, turns out I had ordered a Google Chromecast HDMI dongle a while back and had forgotten about it ?‍♂️

For what is worth, I tried with my Android and worked very well. Soon I'll try it with my mac and iPad but apparently, ChromeCast support's them as well as Windows so I think it'll work as expected!

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Thanks for answering! I don't know if Apple TV works with android or windows devices. Funny enough, turns out I had ordered a Google Chromecast HDMI dongle a while back and had forgotten about it

For what is worth, I tried with my Android and worked very well. Soon I'll try it with my mac and iPad but apparently ChromeCast support's them as well as Windows so I think it'll work as expected!

The Apple TV does not work with non Apple devices.

For mirroring android / windows devices, you may want to explore miracast dongles. I have seen them being deployed in schools for such a purpose, and while it feels a little buggy (I suspect this is due to all the administrative software installed on our laptops), it works.

I am not aware of any third party solutions that support AirPlay.

nmaxcom

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
The Apple TV does not work with non Apple devices.

For mirroring android / windows devices, you may want to explore miracast dongles. I have seen them being deployed in schools for such a purpose, and while it feels a little buggy (I suspect this is due to all the administrative software installed on our laptops), it works.

I am not aware of any third party solutions that support AirPlay.

I just checked the Apple TV, just being thorough and I'm sad at what I saw. The bad side of Apple: very expensive, closed code and forcing people to use Apple stuff only since it's only compatible with them.

I really enjoy my MBP, there's no way I'm not going back to Windows or Linux. A few years back I wouldn't have thought that. I also like the iPad Pro, very good for note-taking and drawing (although the file system way of compartmentalizing files per app sucks incredibly).

But the whole "expensive just because" and the closed sectarianism... Not cool. I won't defend Google either though, each company has its bad things.

For anyone falling here through a search engine: it seems I inadvertently bought the best option. Chromecast is way cheaper (4k around 70$) and supports everything (Windows, mac OS, iOS, iPad, Android...). And it's open source.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.