Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShakeyMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
Hi all,

I have a Micron 9400 Pro 32TB U.3 SSD that I bought at auction from a company that went out of business. I would like to use it as storage on my M2 Mac Studio, but I can't find a way to connect it.

Ideally I'd like to connect it via Thunderbolt so I can maximize the bandwidth of the drive (Thunderbolt is still slower than this drive can operate so I'm just trying to get the fastest I can).

I have found adapters like this but they are only for u.2 and are limited to USB3 speeds.

Does anyone know a way?

Thank you.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hi all,

I have a Micron 9400 Pro 32TB U.3 SSD that I bought at auction from a company that went out of business. I would like to use it as storage on my M2 Mac Studio, but I can't find a way to connect it.

Ideally I'd like to connect it via Thunderbolt so I can maximize the bandwidth of the drive (Thunderbolt is still slower than this drive can operate so I'm just trying to get the fastest I can).

I have found adapters like this but they are only for u.2 and are limited to USB3 speeds.

Does anyone know a way?

Thank you.

Easy:
Build a server with U.3 interface.
Put your Micron 32TB in and set it up as a NAS.
Done.

Or find a 12V powersource to power this adapter before put it inside a nVME box:

MediaGary

macrumors member
May 30, 2022
Hi all,

Does anyone know a way?

Thank you.
I have three U.2 NVMe SSD's (two 6.4TB, one 7.68TB) attached to my M2 Mini Pro. I have two OWC Mercury Pro U.2 Dual (Thunderbolt) enclosures.

From what I have read, U.3 drives can work fine in a U.2 slot, so there's a very good chance that this is a solution for you.

Reactions: vivalarock

OWC_TAL

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2024
In our testing, we have found that not all U.3 SSDs are compatible with MacOS. Please check with the drive manufacturer to make sure there is MacOS support. Looking through forums might help as well.

Whether the drive is compatible or not would not depend U.3 drive itself- every NVMe drive has its own PCIe controller. The NVMe driver in MacOS/Windows needs to recognize and communicate with the PCIe controller. Since U.2 SSDs have been in the market for a while now, most of them work. U.3 SSDs are relative new, and thus we've seen compatibility issues with certain models (only fix will require new firmware on the drive itself or in MacOS/Windows).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.