Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
How can I connect my old Apple Thunderbolt display to my iMac 5k 2017 USB-C ? Do I need the very expensive Apple adapter or there is some competition around? I looked around but couldn't find any so far, a lot of mini-display connectors but I'm not sure it will work with my Thunderbolt Display.
Plus in case it works, will I be able to use the ports available on the old Apple Thunderbolt display? This would be cool. Did anyone try yet ?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
How can I connect my old Apple Thunderbolt display to my iMac 5k 2017 USB-C ? Do I need the very expensive Apple adapter or there is some competition around? I looked around but couldn't find any so far, a lot of mini-display connectors but I'm not sure it will work with my Thunderbolt Display.
Plus in case it works, will I be able to use the ports available on the old Apple Thunderbolt display? This would be cool. Did anyone try yet ?
You need the Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter. A USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter will not work as the Thunderbolt Display supports only Thunderbolt connections.

Reactions: katbel

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Today I decided to give it a try, went to the Apple store and I bought one dongle too.

The good part is that all the ports on the Thunderbolt Display work and this is so good because I have few more ports available,

1 Firewire 800 (I bought another adapter two years ago Firewire 800 to 400) , 3 USB, 1 Thunderbolt, and this is fantastic.

The cons is it's so expensive for just one dongle but I'm telling myself it's like I bought an hub that is not available on the market :cool:
If someone else has the same question here you have the answer!

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
With new 27" 2560x1440 HDMI backlit LCD displays running under $200...
https://www.amazon.com/AOC-Q2778VQE-Monitor-2560x1440-Resolution/dp/B00VERZDEG/ref=sr_1_10?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1541467181&sr=1-10&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin:6570749011

These take an inexpensive adapter that runs under $10 to connect.

Not much point to going through that hassle unless you happen to have an Apple TB display lying about. If you do, then, by all means — then, by all means, go ahead.

You are right but it happens I have one Apple TB Display and this is why I was looking around to expand my ports and to get the ones on the Display that I was going to lose and they are so essential to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.