Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

josbell2515

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Hello all,
As I explained in this thread: (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cant-remove-stripped-torx-screw-from-ibook-g3.2334047/) I've recently taken it upon myself to restore an old iBook G3 (2002, model A1005). This particular machine has a broken screen, and connecting it to an external monitor (via mini-VGA to VGA) only yields a blank screen, and as far as I know, clamshell mode isn't a thing on an iBook. I connected another iBook (this one being a G4 and having a functional screen) to the same external monitor, and I did see an image on said monitor. On that note, I'm not sure if Apple's mini-VGA to VGA cable is incompatible with iBook G3s (though I don't think it's a compatibility issue) or if for some weird reason, if the screen doesn't work, external monitors won't be picked up. I already ordered a new LCD panel (that is, if it'll work) and I want to see if there's anything I can do with this computer while I'm waiting for the new LCD to show up.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
...and connecting it to an external monitor (via mini-VGA to VGA) only yields a blank screen, and as far as I know, clamshell mode isn't a thing on an iBook.

Clamshell mode is possible on the iBook but it's not recommended. See here and here for warnings against doing this.

I connected another iBook (this one being a G4 and having a functional screen) to the same external monitor, and I did see an image on said monitor.

Do you actually know if the iBook's GPU is working? It might be dead - and in that case, forget about purchasing a replacement LCD. I have a spares iBook G3 with a failed GPU and I receive a blank image when it's connected to a VGA monitor.

On that note, I'm not sure if Apple's mini-VGA to VGA cable is incompatible with iBook G3s

I'm certain that it has worked with my working iBook G3's. I can set it up and run a test if it will reassure you.

josbell2515

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Clamshell mode is possible on the iBook but it's not recommended. See here and here for warnings against doing this.

Do you actually know if the iBook's GPU is working? It might be dead - and in that case, forget about purchasing a replacement LCD. I have a spares iBook G3 with a failed GPU and I receive a blank image when it's connected to a VGA monitor.

I'm certain that it has worked with my working iBook G3's. I can set it up and run a test if it will reassure you.
Okay, all things considered, as much as I was hoping this wasn't the case, the GPU could very well be dead. I just remembered I've seen this happen a few other times over the years.
I guess there's my answer. ?

Reactions: TheShortTimer

bifo

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2022
Sorry to bump this older thread, but I thought it'd be better than posting a new one. I have a fully functional A1005 running OS9.2.2, which I'm trying to connect to an older Dell 1704FPt (4:3 screen, max resolution 1284x1024) which is also fully working and which will work fine with 1024x768.

For some reason, the Dell screen will not display the output from the Mini-VGA to VGA adapter using a tested cable. I've tried two Mini-VGA adapters, but I'm now wondering if the issue is that OS9 doesn't have drivers for the late model iBook. I keep the iBook for OS 9 based applications so putting OSX on would serve no point, but it would be nice to be able to control it remotely.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
For some reason, the Dell screen will not display the output from the Mini-VGA to VGA adapter using a tested cable. I've tried two Mini-VGA adapters, but I'm now wondering if the issue is that OS9 doesn't have drivers for the late model iBook.
Do you have graphics acceleration in OS 9 on the iBook?
Does the external monitor work in OS X?

Last edited:

bifo

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2022
Do you have graphics acceleration in OS 9 on the iBook?
Does the external monitor work in OS X?
I'm not sure how to find that out? It definitely sees the graphics memory in the A1005 in the system profiler, and seems to take full advantage of it. I'm also able to use OS9VNC with it to remote in, but it does cause system instability.

I was mostly hoping to use it with a VGA KVM with other older systems.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I'm not sure how to find that out?
Your iBook G3 shipped with a machine-specific build of OS 9.2.2, since it was released several months after 9.2.2 was. Is it still running the original install? If you reinstalled OS 9.2.2: did you use the machine-specific restore disc?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheShortTimer

bifo

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2022
I didn't have the machine-specific restore disk, but it's been a while since I reinstalled. I've downloaded the eMac ATI drivers from here but it appears the relevant ATI drivers were already installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.