Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Socalrunner951

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
Hello, can anyone tell me what the best way would to hook up my 2.33 Mac Pro up to my Sony 42" LCD. I did some research on apple.com and many people were saying the adapter that Apple provides is terrible with Sony TVs. All I need to do his hook up my Mac Pro to my TV and test a few movies that I ripped (I'm thinking about buying a mac mini and hooking up some external hard drives to it making it a music/movie server) but first I need to check the quality. Thanks in advance!

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
What connections does your Sony TV have? If it has VGA, then you need to get a DVI to VGA adapter and a VGA cable. If it has DVI or HDMI, then you just need a DVI cable (if its HDMI, you also need a DVI to HDMI adapter).

Socalrunner951

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
What connections does your Sony TV have? If it has VGA, then you need to get a DVI to VGA adapter and a VGA cable. If it has DVI or HDMI, then you just need a DVI cable (if its HDMI, you also need a DVI to HDMI adapter).

It has both the DVI connection and the HDMI connection.

bruf

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
Montreal, QC
VGA always works

HDMI or DVI isn't always the way to go with LCD TVs. Many models don't support officially a PC/Mac hookup via DVI or HDMI. For example, my brand-new Samsung 40" LCD works in both HDMI/DVI and VGA, but only the VGA output is flawless. Hooking up my MacBook Pro with a DVI-2-HDMI cable do work, but I have overscan horizontally and vertically. It's not the end of the world for movies, but it makes games like World of Warcraft unplayable because you can't see the top and bottom menubars at all.

All TVs will support a PC connection via VGA, and the PQ isn't bad at all. So my suggestion is to first try DVI/HDMI to see if you have any problems, you'll always have VGA as a backup plan.

Good luck,

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I've hooked my MBP up to my Sony TV.
I was surprised by the quality of the connection because I connected it via VGA (MBP DVI --> Apple DVI to VGA adapter --> TV VGA input).

I get a pixel perfect connection at 1920 x 1080. I thought I would get some kind of bleed or distortion, but I can't find a flaw.

Anyway, Apple's DVI to VGA adaptor definitely works with at least some Sony TVs.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
HDMI or DVI isn't always the way to go with LCD TVs. Many models don't support officially a PC/Mac hookup via DVI or HDMI. For example, my brand-new Samsung 40" LCD works in both HDMI/DVI and VGA, but only the VGA output is flawless. Hooking up my MacBook Pro with a DVI-2-HDMI cable do work, but I have overscan horizontally and vertically. It's not the end of the world for movies, but it makes games like World of Warcraft unplayable because you can't see the top and bottom menubars at all.

I had the same problem, but solved it with DisplayConfigX and a helpful tutorial that I don't believe is online anymore. I saved copies locally if you'd like them. Just PM me.

Socalrunner951

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
Thanks for all the help. I bought a DVI to HDMI cable and it seems to be working fine. The only problem is the movie lags a little but the DVD quality is good. It might be the way I'm exporting them or could it be of the cable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.