Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ggghhh3322

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2023
Hi folks

I found out that my old iPhone 6 which i stopped using around 2016 is still connected to my Apple ID and probably has been since this date. I want to turn the Wi-Fi on on the iPhone 6 and see if I can find a purpose for it. I was wondering if I did so would it automatically download all the iMessages, photos, FaceTime calls etc I have had from 2016 to 2023? And if so is there a way to prevent this from happening as I don’t want to have to deal with such a large amount of data downloading at the same time (it does not have the iOS 11.4 update and so would not be synced to iCloud)

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I don’t think iMessage sync is an option on the phone so not sure that would work. I thought iMessage sync was on brought it with iOS 11.4

If you do not want to use that as a messaging device then you can just turn off iMessage altogether.

Ggghhh3322

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2023
If you do not want to use that as a messaging device then you can just turn off iMessage altogether.
I am not quite sure what I want to do with it yet, was thinking of using it as a kinda Alexa replacement since my previous one broke. Would it only download the iMessages and photos that are currently in my iCloud or all that I have sent, received, taken and deleted since 2016? Worried it might crash if it’s the later

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I am not quite sure what I want to do with it yet, was thinking of using it as a kinda Alexa replacement since my previous one broke. Would it only download the iMessages and photos that are currently in my iCloud or all that I have sent, received, taken and deleted since 2016? Worried it might crash if it’s the later

I don’t think it’ll download years old data. Apple and any data backup country in general is smart enough to know that you might not need all messages from years back. So maybe the recent ones will be the only ones that will get downloaded.

Ggghhh3322

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2023
I don’t think it’ll download years old data. Apple and any data backup country in general is smart enough to know that you might not need all messages from years back. So maybe the recent ones will be the only ones that will get downloaded.
Yeah that would make sense. I would think it would be either recent data only or the data that is on your iCloud however can’t seem to get that confirmed despite a couple days of searching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.