Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
This was very new to me!
Today I was looking for a fast and easy way to copy/sync data from my desktop-macbook to the one I use on the go using CCC as my Sync-application.
Yesterday I started with a FireWire-Connection setting one Mac to Target-Disk-Mode. Great and fast solution but a bit awkward, to switch one Mac off and into Target-Disk-Mode.
Then Network-Sync: with Wifi slow and not always reliable.
Then I thought about a direct FW-Connection on running Macs and searched for answers prior to just trying out. And I found this tread here on MacRumors: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-use-firewire-without-target-disk-mode.1032508/
The answers in that thread didn't seem to be clear to me (though @Intell spoke it out as simple as it is: "Yes, they'll be connected via a network and any shared files will appear on the other Mac"), so I finally tried it and the solution came out really that dead-simple: just connected both books with a FW800-cable and the other book could be found as a network-connected device. No Target-disk-mode. No Wifi enabled. No ethernet-cable-plugged in.
File-transfer is rocket-fast, at least SSD-writing-speed is to be the bottleneck with FW800!? (it is not, as I've learned from Intel in the meanwhile...)
And both books can be connected to the internet via Wifi simultaneously - Wifi can be switched on/off without inflicting the FW-connection or data-transfer. Great!
I tried this first with two intel-MBpro with ElCapitan/Sierra.
Then I checked it with an intel-MacBookPro/Sierra/FW800 and a PowerBookG4/Leopard/FW400 and everything worked the same and without a hassle by just plugging the FW cable into both books.
Even the option "intel-Mac/Thunderbolt<>Thunderbolt-FW800-Connector<>FW800/400-Cable<>PowerPC/FW400" did work like a charm. And again: without help of Target-Disk-Mode/WiFi/Ethernet.
So I can backup the user/document and user/desktop folder of different devices very quickly to the companion, I use on the go and feel becoming more independent from poor mobile connections.

Just to let you know ...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.