Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the.big.k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2023
India
I wish to connect two Mac machines to my UltraSharp U2723QE using USB. So far, I have connected both the machines to my monitor using USB C:-

1. Mac Mini (M2) through the USB-C port at the centre
  2. MacBook Pro (M1) through the USB-C port on the left side

I would like to-

1. Easily switch between the two machines using a shortcut key.
  2. If possible, use my keyboard and mouse connected to Mac Mini to control both the machines.

Is this possible? Please let me know how.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
From what I can see in the U2723QE documentation, there's only one USB-C port that supports DisplayPort Video upstream. Read to manual to see which one. The monitor does feature KVM functionality, but only one of the video inputs can be the USB-C/DP port. The other video input must be to the DP or HDMI port. Then you can associate the secondary USB-C upstream port with the HDMI/DP input.
In other words, one computer can use a single cable (USB-C w/Display), the other computer must use two cables (one to HDMI/DP, one USB-C to the USB-C upstream-only port).
The USB connector on the "left side" is a downstream port. It is not an input port. It's all in the user manual.

Reactions: the.big.k

miric

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2016
Just buy USB-C > DP cable adapter and that’s it. I have U3223QE and it works exactly the same. Macbook Pro connected with USB-C cable. Mac mini M1 — with USB-C > DP cable adapter. They share Logitech headset and (almost) Magic keyboard/trackpad. Almost because they aren’t multipoint but I have USB-A > Lightning cable connected all the time to the display and can reconnect them quickly to a desired machine via display’s KVM.

bikerc

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
Just buy USB-C > DP cable adapter and that’s it. I have U3223QE and it works exactly the same. Macbook Pro connected with USB-C cable. Mac mini M1 — with USB-C > DP cable adapter. They share Logitech headset and (almost) Magic keyboard/trackpad. Almost because they aren’t multipoint but I have USB-A > Lightning cable connected all the time to the display and can reconnect them quickly to a desired machine via display’s KVM.
Hi,

I want to be able to share the same keyboard & mouse with 2 computers connected to a Dell U3223QE monitor but I haven't been successful:
  1. MacBook Pro 16 2019 running ventura. It connects to the monitor to port 5 - USB-C port see the bottom view here : https://dl.dell.com/content/manual12003775-dell-u3223qe-monitor-user-s-guide.pdf?language=en-us . I used the USB-C 1.0 M cable.
  2. PC running Pop!Os 22.04LTS (based on Ubuntu). I connects to the monitor to port 4 - Display Port. I used the DisplayPort 1.8 M cable (DisplayPort to DisplayPort)
  3. Mac keyboard and mouse that are both wired and they are plugged into the usb ports 9 & 10.
I also have an additional wired keyboard and additional wireless mouse for the PC. They are plugged into the PC.

I can switch between the 2 using the joystick behind the monitor but the mac keyboard doesn't work for the PC, it sends the input to the mac and the same is true with the mouse.

How did you set it up? Could you please tell me what connections did you use and where in terms of the numbers in the picture?

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 3.07.23 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 3.07.41 PM.png

Last edited:

miric

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2016
You have to connect your PC to port 8 in addition in order to be able to use your KVM. This is how it works for me. MBP - port 5, Mac mini - port 4 + port 8.

Reactions: bikerc

bikerc

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
You have to connect your PC to port 8 in addition in order to be able to use your KVM. This is how it works for me. MBP - port 5, Mac mini - port 4 + port 8.
Yes, exactly, I just got it working like that. Go figure. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.