Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
I've been concerned that the iPP 'only' has a single Lightning port (not counting the Smart Connector) for connectivity.

Wouldn't a Dock, such as used for recording on an iPad, with several I/O ports, cure that problem?

What happens to data speed/flow when 'constricted' to flowing thru a Lightning port. For example, can a lighting port handle data from several different ports on a dock, at the same time?

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I wonder if the Smart Connector has fast enough data transfer speed where you can have a case that uses the Smart Connector and has an array of ports for the iPad's use.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
I wonder if the Smart Connector has fast enough data transfer speed where you can have a case that uses the Smart Connector and has an array of ports for the iPad's use.

I think I remember a reply to a similar question I posed awhile back that said the three contact points for that connector would not provide enough passthrough for high data transfer.

I'll be curious to see if that connector is meant to just a simple connector for a keyboard or if it's capabilities provide for much more (i.e., a dock with high speed peripheral ports).

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yikes! 153 views and no replies. I might have asked a dumb question :oops:
Not a dumb question but probably one that is not of any concern to those considering buying an iPad Pro.

After the initial "mental wrestling" that everyone had to go through to figure out if the Pro is something they will buy, people are pretty much settled on what the iPad Pro is, what it isn't, and how it fits or doesn't in their workflow.

The magnetic connector is going to strictly be for the keyboard. Had it been a "lightning port with a different form-factor" then it would've been possible to use it for more than that.

That's one of the reasons why I'm sitting out the 1st gen of the iPad Pro.... There is plenty of room for refinement and additions for the next gen (or 3rd).

Reactions: Codeseven

o2cmefly

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2015
Harrisonburg, VA
Why does everyone want all these ports? Welcome to the 21st century people. Most notebooks these days have no optical drive. Ports are disappearing. Everything is going wireless. This is why Apple devices have Airplay and Airdrop. If those aren't to your liking, there's iCloud Drive, Dropbox, etc. Oddly enough, I did come across this little USB drive which also has a lightning connector on the other end. Apple devices can/read write to it and even play files directly from it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013JI67K6...lid=22GK7W1JNISBX&coliid=I1JYRU5AMK0AGT&psc=1

Reactions: artfossil

nbourbaki

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
CVG, CPH, BOS
Why does everyone want all these ports? Welcome to the 21st century people. Most notebooks these days have no optical drive. Ports are disappearing. Everything is going wireless. This is why Apple devices have Airplay and Airdrop. If those aren't to your liking, there's iCloud Drive, Dropbox, etc. Oddly enough, I did come across this little USB drive which also has a lightning connector on the other end. Apple devices can/read write to it and even play files directly from it.

I'm not looking for multiple ports, I'm looking for a more capable port. Have you even tried to sync a large data set via 802.11 A/C. Even A/C MIMO in perfect conditions is only marginally faster than USB 2.0 for sustained data transfer.

Apple needs to update the Lightning port to USB 3.0 speeds. It would be fantastic if they could also enable Target Display Mode with the new faster port. I almost always carry both my iPad and rMBP and allowing my iPad to be a second monitor on the road would be a real benefit. It would also make a 256gb or larger SSD more practical. I have a 128gb Air and I recently had to resync all of my content and it took about a half hour with the current USB 2.0 based lightning connector. I would assume that a 256gb SSD would take an hour.

One thing we can agree on. Welcome to the 21st Century! USB 2.0 was born in the 20th century (April 2000). USB 3.0 was born in the 21st century (November 2008).

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013JI67K6...lid=22GK7W1JNISBX&coliid=I1JYRU5AMK0AGT&psc=1

I'm not referring to transferring files wirelessly. In my case I'm looking for more ports for connecting peripherals for recording. A single Lightning port won't hack it unless docked or connected to a device with more ports.

Reactions: o2cmefly
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.