Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drater

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
hey all, i have only 40gb on my ibook, waiting till i get paid (will be a little while), but wanted to know what i could do to conserve space. I have most of my music and videos on an external...but still seems to be taking up a lot of room on my hard drive...my music library is only 15gb...what the heck is taking up so much space.
thanks in advance,
retard

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Clean all history etc, if you have not done it and have been using it for a long time it can add up to gigs ;)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Maybe use an app like OmniDiskSweeper to see where all the space is being used. Also, iLife's Garageband and iDVD take up many GB with loops and themes respectively. If they're not needed, look into removing them. The default Apple files can be reinstalled from the iLife disks later if necessary. :)

Subliving

macrumors member
May 31, 2005
Leeds, UK
What bitrate is your music encoded at? You may get away with encoding it a little lower (No lower than 128 AAC though...) and not notice a difference? Depends how into your music you are.

Subliving

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.