Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Knowing that Microsoft is embroiled in a fight against the commission, I was daydreaming and was thinking...

What would happen if Microsoft Windows stopped existing? Would the world be a better place?

I often do desire for the demise of XP, Vista, etc. etc. but realize that if Windows wasn't around...

There wouldn't be anything to bash for Mac users! hehehe

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
What would happen if Microsoft Windows stopped existing?

The unemployment rate would rise, all those IT departments would be greatly thinned out. PC users would be forced to actually produce quality work, on a quality computer. The game of solitare would cease to exist as we know it. MS Office and all its related crap would be replaced by functional applications. Redmond will become a ghost town. DELL, HP and all the other sources of low-grade computer manufacturers will be forced to build quality machines using quality parts.

Too bad it won't happen, but it is a nice thought. I little sacrasm to lighten my day. Thank princealfie, for the opportunity to dream on a Friday afternoon.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Well, back to MS-DOS 3.1 then. After all, it did work. Green letters on black screens have become fashionable since Matrix anyway.

Maybe somebody would revive OS/2? Or Amiga OS? Or we dust off the C64?

mrfrosty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
If I were Bill Gates I'd be sick of all the moaning, whining, court cases, and general anti microsoft stuff e.t.c e.t.c I would be so sick I think I would just pull the plug on everything, stop selling all versions of Windows, all versions of Office, basicaly pull the plug on the entire thing and just spend the rest of my days counting my money.

If he did that though I wonder what would happen? Would people move to something else ....or just stay running Windows XP for ever ? You only live once, it would really make a mark in history if he did it.....

mrfrosty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
andiwm2003 said:
Well, back to MS-DOS 3.1 then. After all, it did work. Green letters on black screens have become fashionable since Matrix anyway.

Maybe somebody would revive OS/2? Or Amiga OS? Or we dust off the C64?

Ahhhhhhhh the c64.....I was playing paradroid just the other day.....

Suspended
Feb 18, 2006
Hong Kong
and, if Windows XP stopped existing, then Apple would have a monopoly and could charge whatever they want. They wouldn't have to update their operating system for 5 years (think XP -> Vista).

Of course, people could use Linux, but I dislike it greatly.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Dane D. said:
The unemployment rate would rise, all those IT departments would be greatly thinned out. PC users would be forced to actually produce quality work, on a quality computer. The game of solitare would cease to exist as we know it. MS Office and all its related crap would be replaced by functional applications. Redmond will become a ghost town. DELL, HP and all the other sources of low-grade computer manufacturers will be forced to build quality machines using quality parts.

Too bad it won't happen, but it is a nice thought. I little sacrasm to lighten my day. Thank princealfie, for the opportunity to dream on a Friday afternoon.

Ya, that sounds like what would happen if M$/Windows would suddenly disappear. :)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
You'd see a Mac in every corner in you're eye if this happened.

I have a right to dream, don't I?

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
and then all games will be originally for the mac, then for the existing pc users and nix users.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
Applematters.com did a 6-part series on what the world would be like without Microsoft.

I suggest you check it out if you're interested, however, Apple isn't mentioned frequently, as far as I can remember.

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
mrfrosty said:
Ahhhhhhhh the c64.....I was playing paradroid just the other day.....

THE best game ever. Heavy Metal Paradroid i thnk was the one i had, followed by Paradroid '90 for the Amiga, which i never liked as much.

what an awesome game.

ok, back on topic. i've often wondered the same. although i'm sure Bill doesn't give a rats ass about all the crap that he may hear, i'm sure he honestly believes he's flogging a product that everyone needs :rolleyes:

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
dmw007 said:
Ya, that sounds like what would happen if M$/Windows would suddenly disappear. :)

Speaking as an IT guy who ostensibly develops and supports Windows and Windows applications...

I don't think this would be as bad as people think. A lot of us would much rather be building systems to actually do cool and money-making things, rather than wasting time fixing stuff that just won't stay fixed.

Companies would get more bottom-line value from their IT departments, since we could spend more time developing for the business. Currently, I probably spend 30-40% of my time hand-holding and nursing Windows installations.

OMGteh.nterweb

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2006
I think we’d see a lot of people just simply move away from comps. You know the kinda people I mean, It’s the folks who still use IE and can’t wait for the tabbed browsing in the IE upgrade. The people who use their computer for too much email, constantly bothering their relatives with pictures of cats. We’d go back to the old days, where you had to know something to use a computer. You’d go back to being a nerd if you had a computer in your room. The people who still used comps would have to get darn familiar with bash CLI.

Comps would, once again, be for the l337. They’d be taken away from all the unproductive desk monkeys who use them purely for email and MSoffice.

direzz

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
something like that reminds me of a shakespere tragedy.

if microsoft was to fall apart, utter chaos would arise. how would we function doing day to day tasks? administration in businesses, schools, hospitals, everywhere would all fall apart.

macintosh sales would rise :D

Aarow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
Maybe Dell/Gateway/Sony/Whatevers' machines would ship with some sort of "consumer friendly" Linux?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.