Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Guys - I take a lot of photos, mostly just family and vacations but have a pretty big collection of photos and some long 2-3 min videos but a ton of them and many are 4k. Total size today is 3TB but growing by 200gb every year. All were taken using mirrorless cameras, iPhone & Android phones. I was initially considering just using Photosync to save the original nature of my files (ex-Windows mindset) but I know I'll be missing a lot of organization features of Apple Photos like tagging and keyword searches for a place or person. I'd appreciate if somebody can answer a few questions for me
- What's maximum size of a photo library you'd recommend against exceeding? I'm open to multiple libraries but defeats the purpose of doing a search for something and seeing all photos related to that in one view. Usually people do multiple libraries to separate family vs work photo
- Since I don't use iCloud or any other cloud services, I guess I can simply connect my iphone via USB-C once a month and will it only copy over the new photos since the last backup?
-After importing all photos into the library and deleting the originals, will I be able to ever export all pictures in their original format & quality to individual HEIC or JPEG files (whatever original source file was? Same question for videos as many were shot in 4k

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.