Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technologic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2020
I'm a long term Samsung Note user (Note 8 now). Will be upgrading to either Note 20 Ultra or iPhone 12 Pro Max. What will I miss by switching to the iPhone, what will I be gaining? (I already have iPad and Windows computer, my wife has everything Apple)

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Meh it’s up to you. At the end of the day they do the same basic tasks and both do it well. They both do phone calls, texts ( iMessage , SMS the same thing at the end of the day) , connect to the internet, take photos and so forth. The Samsung Galaxy Note ultra has the S pen so there’s that. The note has a 120hz screen and a bigger battery but once again these are all preferences. I used to switch between both but I’m happy with my iPhone. What sells me on iPhone is OS upgrades way past the 2 years mark, ecosystem where every thing is seamless and customer service post purchase is great.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
The usual switched to iPhone complaints are: no stylus, no customization, no google integration, no file customization, no “true multitasking.”

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I'm a long term Samsung Note user (Note 8 now). Will be upgrading to either Note 20 Ultra or iPhone 12 Pro Max. What will I miss by switching to the iPhone, what will I be gaining? (I already have iPad and Windows computer, my wife has everything Apple)

You won't regret it, pro max for the win, Face ID, better battery life, better battery life in standby mode, a14 chip best in the business, better written and looking apps, better eco system, better customer support, better security, 5-6 years iOS software updates, no lag or stutter, better software.

Want me to keep going? ?

If it ain't a iPhone it ain't a iPhone.?

Had 2 family members switch from Samsung, one had a s10 and the other a note 9, they ended up getting a 11 and 11 pro, said they wished they switched sooner, they'll never go back to Samsung, they love Face ID and the awesome battery life, and a million other things.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I’m concerned over the rumored smaller battery.
The 5G is going to eat some power and the slightly larger screen will also, a little bit.
Apple’s pretty good on power management but with the addition of even just those two things with a “possibly” smaller battery would make me hesitate.
Glad my wife and I went all-out last year on the 11 Pro Max. Definitely going to wait and see what the 13 or 14 will bring to the table.

Reactions: Technologic

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
You won't regret it, pro max for the win, Face ID, better battery life, better battery life in standby mode, a14 chip best in the business, better written and looking apps, better eco system, better customer support, better security, 5-6 years iOS software updates, no lag or stutter, better software.

Want me to keep going?

If it ain't a iPhone it ain't a iPhone.

Had 2 family members switch from Samsung, one had a s10 and the other a note 9, they ended up getting a 11 and 11 pro, said they wished they switched sooner, they'll never go back to Samsung, they love Face ID and the awesome battery life, and a million other things.

That’s purely subjective. Better battery life is on the note 20 ultra based off specs and my personal experience with android I would not argue that. There is diminishing returns with the A13 and will be with the A14. The Snapdragon SOC will be fine for the life of the device. Better security ? Eh I never had any issues with android and if you use common sense you’ll be fine.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I’m concerned over the rumored smaller battery.
The 5G is going to eat some power and the slightly larger screen will also, a little bit.
Apple’s pretty good on power management but with the addition of even just those two things with a “possibly” smaller battery would make me hesitate.
Glad my wife and I went all-out last year on the 11 Pro Max. Definitely going to wait and see what the 13 or 14 will bring to the table.

Which is why I’m happy with my 11 pro. I got mine financed at $850 back in December for that reason. I could of leased my X until September but why ? I’m saving $15 a month financing the 11 then just keep on leasing the X at $40.

Reactions: jagolden

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
That’s purely subjective. Better battery life is on the note 20 ultra based off specs and my personal experience with android I would not argue that. There is diminishing returns with the A13 and will be with the A14. The Snapdragon SOC will be fine for the life of the device. Better security ? Eh I never had any issues with android and if you use common sense you’ll be fine.

There is Plenty of people blowing up re poor battery life on the note 20 Ultra from reading around.

Reactions: LFC2020

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

I used to be a Galaxy Note user (owner Note 4 and Note8). I still miss the SPen, I have to say.

What you will gain is more simplicity and fluidity, my suggestion is that you take a long hard look at what your Note8 has and see what you mainly need and if those things exist in the iPhone in the manner you prefer.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I used to be a Galaxy Note user (owner Note 4 and Note8). I still miss the SPen, I have to say.

What you will gain is more simplicity and fluidity, my suggestion is that you take a long hard look at what your Note8 has and see what you mainly need and if those things exist in the iPhone in the manner you prefer.

+1

I miss the s pen but with my Apple Watch and the simplicity of iPhones I’m happy with.

Reactions: Tsepz

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Whatever you do, don’t try and upgrade your wife, she sounds like a keeper being all Apple.

Since you already have some Apple products, I don’t think you will miss much from Android. I think the transition will be easier for you than an Apple virgin.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
+1

I miss the s pen but with my Apple Watch and the simplicity of iPhones I’m happy with.

Indeed! The Apple Watch really does take the experience to a whole new level, I am loving the ecosystem.

Between my 11 Pro Max, Apple Watch Series 3 and 2020 iPad Pro 11”, my mobile computing setup feels optimal and complete , more complete than I ever had it on Android.

The Handoff feature is a Godsend, AirDrop works flawlessly, the way the Apple Watch deals with notifications along with my work mails and calendar etc... it’s all so well integrated and fluid that I simply cannot get out of it now

Let’s not even go into how well optimized iOS apps are between Wearable, Smartphone and Tablet, every app feels like it had a lot of attention to detail paid to it and therefore works well on each platform, nothing feels like a Beta test, all well refined and polished, I absolutely love it.

Time and time again on Android I watched smartphone announcements with cool features from each OEM but the issue in android is that not all developers respect all OEM skins and functions. For example Samsung Edge Panels didn’t exist for many apps and those that did didn’t take full advantage of what was a great feature. With the Galaxy Note and Note taking features I remember as far back as the Note 4, Samsung had put in a feature that allows lifting variations of content at once from one app to another side by side, to this day not all apps allow it and it seems to have gone by the way side - there is a lot of that with a lot of the OEMs, many features that simply exist for one model and never get carried through or just die out. There is this constant battle on each android phone going on between the OEM and Google, your phone is a battle ground for the two of them and it leads to many inconsistencies. Now with Samsung and Microsoft partnering closer and closer you will have Samsung, Microsoft and Google vying for your attention on devices like the Note20, things are getting messy and more bloated.

I love my tech and I still keep a close eye at Samsung Galaxy Note series, however I feel like they still have a long way to go to fix the situation in Android. I need my devices to be productive, entertaining while being simplistic and informative in a non-intruding manner, and iOS is achieving this well for me, I have been happier to pay for services knowing that Apple fully back them and that the devices will get updates for many years to come, and not just get dropped next year.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I love my tech and I still keep a close eye at Samsung Galaxy Note series, however I feel like they still have a long way to go to fix the situation in Android.

The problem with android is as long as they keep supporting a thousand different devices every year, they’ll always remain a fragmented mess.

Android has always been and always will be quantity over quality.

Technologic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2020
Whatever you do, don’t try and upgrade your wife, she sounds like a keeper being all Apple.

Since you already have some Apple products, I don’t think you will miss much from Android. I think the transition will be easier for you than an Apple virgin.

I like having a pen, I like the apple watch better than the Gear S3, I like the Samsung Ear Buds better than the Air Pods, I like the coming "Your Phone" app that lets you do anything on your computer that you do on your phone. I like having a home page with just a few widgets but mostly blank. Sure wish one would have it all :)

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I like having a pen, I like the apple watch better than the Gear S3, I like the Samsung Ear Buds better than the Air Pods, I like the coming "Your Phone" app that lets you do anything on your computer that you do on your phone. I like having a home page with just a few widgets but mostly blank. Sure wish one would have it all :)

Sounds like you’d be better off having both a android phone and a iPhone. Keep your note 8, and buy the iPhone 12.

Been hearing nothing but bad reviews about the note 20 ultra battery life, especially the exynos model.

• Haha
Reactions: Technologic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.