Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRocks2011

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2011
Ontario, Canada
So I’ve had a large phone for a long time, since the iPhone 6 Plus. My current phone is an iPhone 11 Pro Max, and I love it. However I’ve been getting increasingly annoyed with the large size. My favourite phone to date was my iPhone 5S, and I am so excited about the new iPhones. The designs are perfect, and I love the size of the iPhone mini.

Comparing the stats of the 12 Pro Max with the Mini, while there are definite differences, overall they are more similar than not. I use my iPhone to the fullest extent, and I think the iPhone mini will perform well enough that it won’t feel like a “downgrade” performance wise.

Do you think there would be a noticeable performance difference?

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
You could be sorely disappointed with the battery life, for one. Stark difference there.

What do you mean, “performance”? Performance of what? The 12 Pro Max and 12 mini use the same processors.

Reactions: akash.nu and ediks

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
When I went to get my 11PM last year at the Apple store I held the regular pro(5.8 inch) in my hand and I chuckled a little bit because it looked and felt small. Like a toy. It didn’t feel like I would be getting my money’s worth purchasing that size. Yes, I know, strange. I would be in stitches seeing the 12 mini in person knowing it’s only 5.4 inches! There’s two good reasons not to get that form factor. Battery life and aging eyes.

Having said that I would totally recommend you get the 6.1 pro if you want to “downsize” it’ll have the best blend of battery life, smaller phone, and bigger display to enjoy more content. Do not get the mini

Reactions: SHKLMRE

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Performance shouldn't be a problem.

But going from Max to Mini is a very big step down in screen size and seems like going from one extreme to the other. ;)

Maybe one of the 6.1'' would be a good compromise for now, if you want something smaller?

catean

Suspended
Jun 16, 2013
London, UK
From Max to Mini, the first think you will hate is the keyboard. You will need to readjust texting on such a small widht.

jrpoll

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2014
I just “pre” pre ordered mine and I’m coming from an 11 pro max. I’ve been comparing the models since it was announced. There are no downgrades except for battery life and I already have seen some manufacturers in development for a MagSafe battery pack which would be quite interesting.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
As someone that doesn't consume much visual media on their iPhone, I don't have a need for a large screen. Make the phone as small as possible while being fully functional and that's the one I'm getting.

Moving from a 2016 iPhone SE to a iPhone 12 Mini soon. The jump in practically every possible field is going to be massive and I'm excited to have some new tech to play with. (Plus the battery in my current phone is garbage. I'll be happy to have a phone I don't need to have connected to a battery pack at all times to use.)

Last edited:

ChipperVW

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005
You really need to see the mini in person to be able to decide. I just saw it and love it. Coming from 11 Pro, not Max like you. But the mini just felt good and different. Something I haven't felt with iPhone in a long time

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
So I’ve had a large phone for a long time, since the iPhone 6 Plus. My current phone is an iPhone 11 Pro Max, and I love it. However I’ve been getting increasingly annoyed with the large size. My favourite phone to date was my iPhone 5S, and I am so excited about the new iPhones. The designs are perfect, and I love the size of the iPhone mini.

Comparing the stats of the 12 Pro Max with the Mini, while there are definite differences, overall they are more similar than not. I use my iPhone to the fullest extent, and I think the iPhone mini will perform well enough that it won’t feel like a “downgrade” performance wise.

Do you think there would be a noticeable performance difference?

This is exactly the route I have gone.Should be receiving the handset today.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I bought both to see just how mini it really is... May give to mother since she consumes no media and just needs a phone.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
I have a mini arriving today... I was one of those who held onto a 1st gen SE after returning an X - finally succumbed to an 11 pro after the battery died.

Battery might be a bit annoying compared to my 11 pro, but it will be better than that SE. The one misgiving I have is 5G is great where I live, we even have mmWave blankenting the area around my building (downtown Denver by the ballpark), I just happen to luck out to be in one of a few places where this feature is not a joke right now.

So with *that said*, I am slightly bummed about missing out on something that could function as a more palatable content consumption device, pushing it up to unlimited w/ Verizon. But even with the Max I probably would tire of using it like that... as it is, my 11 pro feels underwhelming for that task.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I personally would not go all the way down to the Mini from a Max, but like you I've had the biggest iPhones since they first became available, and finally grew tired of dealing with the huge size and weight. I went with a regular Pro this year and am super happy with the size of the device. The smaller screen has taken a little getting used to but not as much as I feared. I'm already settled in.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
So with *that said*, I am slightly bummed about having something that could function as a really good content consumption device, pushing it up to unlimited w/ Verizon. But even with the Max I probably would tire of using it like that... as it is, my 11 pro feels underwhelming for that task.

If I was using a phone as a primary media consumption device, I would definitely go for the max. I switched from an 11 pro max to the mini this year and just love the lightness of the handset. But I won't be using it for any extensive media consumption, as my appleTV, iPad and desktop does that heavy lifting for that.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Right - I meant to say my 11" iPad Pro, not 11 Pro. I tend to use my iPad Pro in a pinch to watch content only in bed or when taking a bath, rarely for more than 30 minute stretches.

Reactions: aka777
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.