Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Hi, strongly considering switchung to android (ultra looks so cool), but need advice, if possible, how did you reolace following apps:
- safari - here i guess Brave would be usable, want browser that can block all ads (but any advice would be apprecisted)
- mail client? Want to continues using my icloud account
- facetime - probably no chance to replace (wife will definitely stay in apole ecosystem - apole watch is a hook)
- find my - we do have find my friend turned on constantly - probably could be solved by airtag on my side and using web interface on ultra?
- imessage, probably will have to use whatsap only, some disadvantages but manageable

I guess that rest is replaceable easily by google alternatives (apple carplay, sonos airplay streaming, apple pay…)

I will definitely keep may brand new macbook pro with ios (i do plan to get photos from ultra into icloud via mb pro)…

Not sure switch make my life better, but really like s22 ultra, very tempted.. looking forward for discussion:)

Kcetech1

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2016
Alberta Canada
Safari - brave, chrome or pretty much anything that strikes your fancy. you can add adblockers to anything nowadays

Mail - I use both the built in mail client ( Mail ) or Nine ( paid for my business ) have also liked outlook and spark.

Facetime - honestly I have barely used it as no one I communicate with uses it. for me its FB Messenger, Whatsapp and Jitsi where we make our own groups.

Find My .... hundreds of options if you want them, only thing I use is vehicle tracking for work. so not exactly sure. for finding my phone I log into my google account and it finds it for me or I make it ring when I loose it in the house.

iMessage .... again not a common thing for me, its Whatsapp, Signal, FB Messenger and good old SMS

theres a pile of choices depending on your needs, I know I had to try out a few things to see what I liked better, some apps are more dependent on your contacts and needs.

Reactions: koigirl

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
For the mail app I use Spark. It's an Android and IOS client and it's been helpful for me for a few years now. As for message, I use the built in Samsung messaging app for my contacts, and sometimes use Facebook Messenger (Even though I would like to break away from Facebook). It's a necessary evil I guess.

Reactions: koigirl and tbayrgs

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Hi, strongly considering switchung to android (ultra looks so cool), but need advice, if possible, how did you reolace following apps:
- safari - here i guess Brave would be usable, want browser that can block all ads (but any advice would be apprecisted)
- mail client? Want to continues using my icloud account
- facetime - probably no chance to replace (wife will definitely stay in apole ecosystem - apole watch is a hook)
- find my - we do have find my friend turned on constantly - probably could be solved by airtag on my side and using web interface on ultra?
- imessage, probably will have to use whatsap only, some disadvantages but manageable

I guess that rest is replaceable easily by google alternatives (apple carplay, sonos airplay streaming, apple pay…)

I will definitely keep may brand new macbook pro with ios (i do plan to get photos from ultra into icloud via mb pro)…

Not sure switch make my life better, but really like s22 ultra, very tempted.. looking forward for discussion:)
These are what I use on my Android phone:
- browser: Brave
- mail client: GMail and Outlook
- video calling: Whatsapp/Zoom/Google Duo
- Find my: Google Find My Device
- messaging: Whatsapp

Syncing photos with my Mac: OneDrive.

Unless you must have iMessage or Apple Watch, going Android is very easy as most services are platform agnostics.

Reactions: koigirl

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Not sure which phone you’re looking at but I love Samsung’s browser, as good as Safari IMO. Whatsapp for universal messaging and video calls. Gmail app for mail accounts. Google or Samsung find my device replaces Find My.

Seriously, i love my iphone too but i don’t see a huge app discrepancy at this point. Same for old tropes (arguing against Android) regarding lag issues, dearth of updates, etc. Samsung and Google are getting better and better. Some apps (Google maps comes to mind first) are better implemented on Android IMO. I use Google photos on my iphone and prefer it to Apple Photos simply bc it’s universal across my devices.

We have several family members who prefer Samsung phones, others with iphones so most messaging for all groups are on Whatsapp bc it’s universal and works very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: aggie99

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Thx everyone.. find my seems to be biggest problem, i do use it for find my friend, not my devices..

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
For the mail app I use Spark. It's an Android and IOS client and it's been helpful for me for a few years now. As for message, I use the built in Samsung messaging app for my contacts, and sometimes use Facebook Messenger (Even though I would like to break away from Facebook). It's a necessary evil I guess.

From what I remember, Spark keep your mail on their servers and basically have a hidden agreement that says they will sell your data. I think they have walked it back a little but I still think they are one of the more aggressive email apps when it comes to data collection.

Not sure if that matters to you or anything, just an FYI.

Jason2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2019
Planet Earth
Don't do it. Android is fun to play with but when you need a reliable consistent device nothing beats Apple and their hardware/software. Android is a beta toy.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Don't do it. Android is fun to play with but when you need a reliable consistent device nothing beats Apple and their hardware/software. Android is a beta toy.
This is not true. Both Samsung and Apple make great, reliable devices. They are different but both are good. Each has strengths and weaknesses and there are features I miss when I switch from one to the other in either direction.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Case closed, wont switch. Thx for discussion, sb may find it useful.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012

Depends on the op needs, android is a fun toy but more so like a pc in your pocket iOS is more like a communication device.

Android may take one extra step to get to the location over iOS for the basics.

I have iOS and I hate it honestly but don’t want to leave for android and sell all my stuff then regret it and I see no need for two phones unless you rich or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.