Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HyperliteG4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Southern California
Crossposted on Reddit

--------

I'm strongly considering trading in my MBP 13" (2018) for an iPad Pro (open to waiting for 2020 version). Looks like I can get about $850 on a trade-in from Apple on my MBP, but I'm still on the fence whether it's a good decision or not. My primary work machine is an iMac Pro. I work from home but my company office is about an hour drive from me and I typically go in for work 1-2x month.
Here's what I currently use my MBP for along with some ideas for accomplishing if switching to iPad Pro:
  • When traveling into work office, minor updates on Adobe PhotoShop, InDesign, Illustrator. (Thinking I can remote desktop back to iMac Pro and/or sync these files to the iPad with Dropbox or iCloud Drive and use native iOS Adobe apps?)
  • When traveling into work office, minor IT functions. (Thinking I can remote desktop with TeamViewer to my office PC's on same network if needed?)
  • Download/dump SD card content from Sony A7iii to portable 2.5" SSD drive as needed (for example on multi-day remote photo/video shoot).
  • On-the-go photo editing in Lightroom but have been considering switching to Luminar 4 (not iPad compatible)
  • Quick video edits on the go (maybe iMovie to FCPX workflow?)
  • Front-end coding (HTML/CSS/JS - SASS, React, Node, GraphQL) and website maintenance when on the go (for example if on vacation and problem arrises). I was reading there are some decent ways of doing this but requires me changing my current workflow.
Anyway, you can see I do a pretty wide variety of tasks. Am I being ridiculous for considering switching? Does anyone do any of these tasks on an iPad? How do you like it? Tips/tricks/pitfalls? Just looking to get more input on the idea of a possible switch. I can't justify buying an iPad on it's own right now to supplement my setup so that's why I'm thinking about doing the trade-in with my MBP.

TIA

fireboy60013

Suspended
Nov 25, 2019
Me and my boyfriend use our first generation iPad pros for everything, we have not touched our laptops in 2 weeks at all.

HyperliteG4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Southern California
Why do you want to replace the MBP with an iPad?

The things you want to do are so easily handled by a MBP that I don’t see the benefit of switching for no reason.

I'll be honest it's mostly because I keep seeing these YouTube videos about photo editing with the Apple Pencil and that's what looks cool to me and the ability to draw again which I haven't done in a long time, not since I used to have a much older Wacom (like 8 years ago!).

Anyway, that's my main driving factor to considering this. The coding is more of a "what if I need to" scenario if I were traveling and needed to do some quick fixes. Most of the other tasks I think are easily handled from what I can see.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Personally I occasionally use several of the applications you mentioned - Photoshop, Illustrator, In-Design, Lightroom and I would consider giving up a laptop with access to those full blown packages for an iPad as a major downgrade. I’m not heavy into graphics design or anything, just more of a hobbyist, and I can still appreciate the need for full versions of software rather than compromising by having to change to a mobile application to do things.

I’d approach an iPad purchase as a device that could potentially supplement workflows and then slowly migrate to it as my workflows evolved around it.

As far as file management goes, the iPad can access external devices now and do what you’re describing but it’s nowhere near as good or reliable at it as a computer would be.

Reactions: cdcastillo

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I can’t comment on how well an iPad would handle the aforementioned tasks, but would like to point out the advantages an iPad would have over a laptop.

1) inbuilt 4g - so you are always connected.
2) can use sidecar with your iMac for a second display.
3) stylus lets you annotate and write on documents.
4) great for reading and consumption as well.

There will definitely some switching pains as you learn a new interface and get accustomed to new apps and workflows.

You may also need to purchase some apps again as they won’t be compatible with your Mac.

Here’s an article on a guy who codes using his iPad. He talks about how the iPad allows him to focus better on his work by forcing him to adopt a slower, more deliberate approach.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
For Indesign I don’t believe you’ll find a similar capable solution on iPad. It ultimately comes down to you finding iPad Workflows that don’t hold you back.

I’d get an iPad from Apple - any recent one will give you a good idea- then test it during the return period to see if it works for you.

Thrutheroofnunderground

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2018
North Carolina
I'll be honest it's mostly because I keep seeing these YouTube videos about photo editing with the Apple Pencil and that's what looks cool to me and the ability to draw again which I haven't done in a long time, not since I used to have a much older Wacom (like 8 years ago!).

Anyway, that's my main driving factor to considering this. The coding is more of a "what if I need to" scenario if I were traveling and needed to do some quick fixes. Most of the other tasks I think are easily handled from what I can see.

What drives me nuts is I don't like Windows at all, but man, the Surface devices they make seem tempting for reasons like this. You can use desktop versions of Adobe products AND you have the drawing/touchscreen of a tablet. It often seems like the best of both worlds. So you're paying for one device instead of two pretty pricey devices.

HyperliteG4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Southern California
Personally I occasionally use several of the applications you mentioned - Photoshop, Illustrator, In-Design, Lightroom and I would consider giving up a laptop with access to those full blown packages for an iPad as a major downgrade. I’m not heavy into graphics design or anything, just more of a hobbyist, and I can still appreciate the need for full versions of software rather than compromising by having to change to a mobile application to do things.

I’d approach an iPad purchase as a device that could potentially supplement workflows and then slowly migrate to it as my workflows evolved around it.

As far as file management goes, the iPad can access external devices now and do what you’re describing but it’s nowhere near as good or reliable at it as a computer would be.

For Indesign I don’t believe you’ll find a similar capable solution on iPad. It ultimately comes down to you finding iPad Workflows that don’t hold you back.

I’d get an iPad from Apple - any recent one will give you a good idea- then test it during the return period to see if it works for you.

Thanks for the input! I still have my iMac Pro as my primary desktop which is why I was considering it in the first place. The iPad would be the companion for the iMac... I honestly don't do a whole lot on my MBP as it is which is why I was considering the switch... I can count on my hands the number of times I've needed to do anything in the Adobe suite or coding in the past 6 months... As I mentioned earlier, I think the primary driving factor is how easy it seems to do photo editing and the ability to use the stylus with photo editing and drawing.... decisions decisions!

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Crossposted on Reddit

--------

I'm strongly considering trading in my MBP 13" (2018) for an iPad Pro (open to waiting for 2020 version). Looks like I can get about $850 on a trade-in from Apple on my MBP, but I'm still on the fence whether it's a good decision or not. My primary work machine is an iMac Pro. I work from home but my company office is about an hour drive from me and I typically go in for work 1-2x month.
Here's what I currently use my MBP for along with some ideas for accomplishing if switching to iPad Pro:
  • When traveling into work office, minor updates on Adobe PhotoShop, InDesign, Illustrator. (Thinking I can remote desktop back to iMac Pro and/or sync these files to the iPad with Dropbox or iCloud Drive and use native iOS Adobe apps?)
  • When traveling into work office, minor IT functions. (Thinking I can remote desktop with TeamViewer to my office PC's on same network if needed?)
  • Download/dump SD card content from Sony A7iii to portable 2.5" SSD drive as needed (for example on multi-day remote photo/video shoot).
  • On-the-go photo editing in Lightroom but have been considering switching to Luminar 4 (not iPad compatible)
  • Quick video edits on the go (maybe iMovie to FCPX workflow?)
  • Front-end coding (HTML/CSS/JS - SASS, React, Node, GraphQL) and website maintenance when on the go (for example if on vacation and problem arrises). I was reading there are some decent ways of doing this but requires me changing my current workflow.
Anyway, you can see I do a pretty wide variety of tasks. Am I being ridiculous for considering switching? Does anyone do any of these tasks on an iPad? How do you like it? Tips/tricks/pitfalls? Just looking to get more input on the idea of a possible switch. I can't justify buying an iPad on it's own right now to supplement my setup so that's why I'm thinking about doing the trade-in with my MBP.

TIA
Keep your MacBook Pro as a back up.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

Plett

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2016
I wouldn’t do the all or none scenario. Just buy the iPad and see how it goes. You can always sell you MBP if you are pleased with the results. (I doubt you will be, but that is personal opinion). iPad is a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

Reactions: sparksd

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
You would have saved a lot more time and grief if you had initially mentioned you have an iMac Pro rather than bringing this layer in the discussion.

you have also answered your own question by saying you dont use the macbook pro much so why would you keep it?

??‍♂️

Reactions: secretk

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I wouldn’t do the all or none scenario. Just buy the iPad and see how it goes. You can always sell you MBP if you are pleased with the results. (I doubt you will be, but that is personal opinion). iPad is a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

Yup that was my point too. IMO buying into a new platform hoping to find compatible workflows is hard enough but if the purchase decision boils down to having to sell a machine that can already clearly accomplish the tasks at hand that puts on even more pressure to compromise on workflow efficiency. Don’t get me wrong, I have first hand appreciation for the simplicity and portability of the ipad, after all I log at least 3 hours of screen time a day on mine, but there are enough workflow specifics in the OP for me to suggest caution in assuming that things can be done to the satisfaction of OP.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
You would have saved a lot more time and grief if you had initially mentioned you have an iMac Pro rather than bringing this layer in the discussion.

you have also answered your own question by saying you dont use the macbook pro much so why would you keep it?

It’s literally there in his first post.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I still have my iMac Pro as my primary desktop which is why I was considering it in the first place. The iPad would be the companion for the iMac... I honestly don't do a whole lot on my MBP as it is which is why I was considering the switch... I can count on my hands the number of times I've needed to do anything in the Adobe suite or coding in the past 6 months... As I mentioned earlier, I think the primary driving factor is how easy it seems to do photo editing and the ability to use the stylus with photo editing and drawing.... decisions decisions!

Just do it! You already mentioned... you don’t do a whole lot with your MBP. The iMac Pro serves as your primary computing device. Having a breather from the whole macOS platform with iPadOS can be refreshing...

I don’t have a iMac Pro, but I do have a 5k iMac that I use along with my iPP. And it’s been a wonderful set up for me. With Adobe taking a emphasis on building apps for the iPad with the introduction of Photoshop... and they plan on adding more features for the future. I’d say go for it... there’s a few coding apps like Coda and Textastic to help you with coding when your not on the desktop.

And, you can always use apps like Screens or some other VNC app to keep you connected to the iMac Pro while your away.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Excellent advice. I love my 12.9 Pro and it can handle most of my tasks but I find some things to be more efficient on my laptop plus I like using a large monitor with it docked. I wouldn't get rid of the MBP before I knew by personal experience - not forum-based advice that the iPad could fully replace it.

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
I bought an iPad mini and use it as my “writing laptop” – pair it with a keyboard which doubles as a case and Pencil holder. The small size enables me to do away with a traditional “laptop bag” and can use a shoulder bag to carry it.

Still keeping a 15” Pro mostly for Xcode and other tasks needing a trackpad or Mac app. Surprisingly, the iPad’s Keynote is still missing features from the Mac version, like aligning shapes and editing custom shapes. Likewise Affinity Designer on the iPad can’t seem to import moderately sophisticated SVG or PostScript files whereas the Mac handles them just fine.

As for the iPad’s external drive handling, they should work as long as
  1. You have the appropriate dongle.
  2. You carry the iPad’s power adapter with you (or a power bank).
  3. The drive is not encrypted.
Some thumb drives just takes too much power for my Mini to handle, furthermore no rotational hard drive can be powered up by the Mini. All of my external drives are encrypted, and the iPad being unable to handle these makes the entire external drive feature moot for me.

Reactions: RogerWilco

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
Going back to the original question of considering switching from a Macbookpro to an iPad Pro I thought it would be exciting and it really was I started out with the 12.9 inch cellular on Verizon and I really found out everything I was using on my MBP I was able to do on A IPP granted I had the smart keyboard and the Apple Pencil then the second generation was released and I upgraded to it this time on T-Mobile doing more and more on it but sticking with the 12.9 then in 2018 switching to the third generation but making the decision to go with the 11 inch With the new body style again on T-Mobile I have the ability to carry with me everywhere I go I really find the need to have a laptop not even a thought in my mind I do the occasional video editing and picture editing with the new full version of Photoshop along with the other photo shopped suit of apps The processing power that I have in this 2018 11 inch iPad Pro not only future proves this device for many years to come but makes me think of what the future models of this unit will bring in how laptops and tablets will merge into more similar features that smaller thinner lighter weight you’re touching a piece of glass with the power of your computer behind it in the Palm of your hand catch up

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Going back to the original question of considering switching from a Macbookpro to an iPad Pro I thought it would be exciting and it really was I started out with the 12.9 inch cellular on Verizon and I really found out everything I was using on my MBP I was able to do on A IPP granted I had the smart keyboard and the Apple Pencil then the second generation was released and I upgraded to it this time on T-Mobile doing more and more on it but sticking with the 12.9 then in 2018 switching to the third generation but making the decision to go with the 11 inch With the new body style again on T-Mobile I have the ability to carry with me everywhere I go I really find the need to have a laptop not even a thought in my mind I do the occasional video editing and picture editing with the new full version of Photoshop along with the other photo shopped suit of apps The processing power that I have in this 2018 11 inch iPad Pro not only future proves this device for many years to come but makes me think of what the future models of this unit will bring in how laptops and tablets will merge into more similar features that smaller thinner lighter weight you’re touching a piece of glass with the power of your computer behind it in the Palm of your hand catch up

i believe your smart keyboard full stop ‘.’ button is broke.

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003

Considering how you've upgraded every generation, I highly doubt the "future proofing" of the 2018 11 inch IPP matters at all in your usage :) But it's great that you've been so happy with the devices. Do you miss the bigger size of the 12.9 at all? Or is the increased portability and one-hand-ability worth the tradeoff?

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I wouldn’t say “doesn’t exist”. For instance, drawing is something some people need to do, but is simply impossible on a Macbook. It may be a niche, but it does exist. For most though, it’s probably less of a problem and more of a preference.

Cuesca

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
The MBP15 2013 was the last laptop I bought and probably will ever buy. Still works like new, however it might be because I am using it less and less because I have a Windows Desktop as well as an iPad. I also just bought a Surface Pro X which seems to be getting a lot of my time. I don't see myself going back to a laptop seeing that a tablet can do everything.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I also just bought a Surface Pro X which seems to be getting a lot of my time.

Have you tried using it via cellular? I believe it’s capable of cellular capabilities... correct? I’m curious how software updates work... is it turned off by default...

Cuesca

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Have you tried using it via cellular? I believe it’s capable of cellular capabilities... correct? I’m curious how software updates work... is it turned off by default...

I use it with T-Mobile LTE, works fine but I updated/download/install everything through Wifi because I don't have unlimited bandwidth with T-Mobile. Also the LTE is seamless meaning the moment my Wifi signal gets too low the LTE takes over. This happens even while watching a YouTube Video or live stream. When ever I get into a known wifi range the LTE will simply switch to Wifi. I think this was the way my iPhone X + iPad Pro 10.5's hotspot worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.