Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blckout20

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
CT
So now that I'm waiting for my new MBP to arrive I'm trying to think of all the things that I want to do with it and I'm considering making some videos. Nothing super great but I just want to go out with our friends and just record some of the things we do together and make a dvd out of it. Now what camcorder would you recommend for doing this, I want to have pretty good quality and not spend over like $500. Also, what software should I use to edit these videos and put music to them, I've never done anything like this before so any tips would be great. no

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
blckout20 said:
So now that I'm waiting for my new MBP to arrive I'm trying to think of all the things that I want to do with it and I'm considering making some videos. Nothing super great but I just want to go out with our friends and just record some of the things we do together and make a dvd out of it. Now what camcorder would you recommend for doing this, I want to have pretty good quality and not spend over like $500. Also, what software should I use to edit these videos and put music to them, I've never done anything like this before so any tips would be great. no

Since you are just starting out, I suggest you use iMovie for editing, which comes as part of iLife with all new Macs.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Ideally you want to look for one with 3CCDs. As for brands, Sony is probably the best with Panasonic also making some good camcorders. Just make sure you get a DV one and not a DVD one because the DVD ones are more expensive, won't work properly with your Mac and have worse image quality.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
Ya you can probably gett he camera i have now for around 500 bucks. Or something clsoe to it if they dont make my model anymore. Its a panasonic pvgs120. It has a leica dicomar lense and is 3ccds. It works well for me and has manual settings. I do wish the manual focus was a turn wheel thingy and not two buttons because i feel less control with buttons.

blckout20

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
CT
Thanks for the help. What are CCDs and I was looking at the Sony DCR-HC32 MiniDV Handycam Camcorder or the Sony DCR-HC42 MiniDV Handycam Camcorder, both which are available from apple.com

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
blckout20 said:
...what camcorder would you recommend for doing this, I want to have pretty good quality and not spend over like $500.

Look for used and demo camera. $500 will not get you into a new, high quality camera. You __absolutly__ want one that shoots mini-DV format tape. But if the subjects are well lit, that means bright light but not direct sunlight on a cloudless day, You want bright even lighting. Any consummer level camera will do well on bright overcast days. 3 CCDs are good but those start at double your budget.

The best advice is to read a book or two on film editing. Not on how to use the software but on the art and craft of editing film, subjects lke continuety of motion and establishing a scene with a long shot and so on. If you know even 10% of this you are ahead of 95% of the people who buy and use video cameras.

The other thing that will set you apart from other beginners is don't move the camera or use the zoom while the tape is running.

I'd use iMove untill you find something you really want to do that you can't and then move to FCE. FCE will import iMove projects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.