Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
So I’ve tried the 15 Pros in both sizes and I’m not digging it as much as I thought I would. I like how the 15/15 Plus look and feel in the hands. The back glass has a better matte texture than the Pros and it’s actually grippy.

I’m curious if anyone else have went from a Pro Max phone to the 15 or 15 Plus? It may seem like a ‘downgrade’ but I’m looking to move away from a large phone and 15 seems like a financially responsible decision for me.

How’s the battery life like on both sizes?

newen

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
Why would you downgrade to a phone worse than the Galaxy S20 (no 120hz)?

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Why would you downgrade to a phone worse than the Galaxy S20 (no 120hz)?

I use various displays ranging from 60-144 Hz. Frankly, 60 Hz displays have never bothered me so while technically a downgrade, it's one that doesn't affect my usage.

FWIW, it seems the 15 Plus has the best battery of the bunch.

Reactions: Al Rukh

newen

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
Cheers for your input. I’m not too sure why there’s this obsession over the need of having 120Hz refresh rate on a phone.

Going from my 120hz iPad Pro to my 60hz iPhone XS makes the iPhone feel laggy and unusable.

Last edited:
Reactions: dominiongamma

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
So I’ve tried the 15 Pros in both sizes and I’m not digging it as much as I thought I would. I like how the 15/15 Plus look and feel in the hands. The back glass has a better matte texture than the Pros and it’s actually grippy.

I’m curious if anyone else have went from a Pro Max phone to the 15 or 15 Plus? It may seem like a ‘downgrade’ but I’m looking to move away from a large phone and 15 seems like a financially responsible decision for me.

theres multiple benefits going pro max over plus, Faster USB-c port 120 HZ 5x telephoto lens titanium frame which also makes the pro max much lighter and with the smaller bezels the pro max is a bit more compact then even the 15 plus.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
theres multiple benefits going pro max over plus, Faster USB-c port 120 HZ 5x telephoto lens titanium frame which also makes the pro max much lighter and with the smaller bezels the pro max is a bit more compact then even the 15 plus.

The Titanium frame makes the 15 Pro Max lighter than older stainless steel Pro Max. The aluminum frame 15 Plus is still lighter than the 15 Pro Max. As you've noted, the 15PM is slightly more compact though.

The 5x telephoto sounds nice in theory but in day to day use, we've found 2-3x more practical.

Reactions: Al Rukh

dan428

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
I’m getting the pro mainly for the proMotion screen (120hz).. apparently some people aren’t as affected by that.. to me it’s an absolutely MASSIVE difference.

If not for that then the 15 non-pro is a great phone, you’ll get excellent battery life because running at 60hz uses a lot less energy (typically, except when the proMotion takes advantage of lower rates as needed down to 1hz). If you’re not bothered by the 60hz then I don’t see why not get that.

dan428

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
Cheers for your input. I’m not too sure why there’s this obsession over the need of having 120Hz refresh rate on a phone.
Not everyone’s eyes are as sensitive to refresh rates, I remember growing up when computer CRT monitors were set to 60hz the flickering drove me completely nuts while most ppl didn’t notice it. The first thing I would do when sitting down at a computer was set the refresh as high as it would go (usually maxed out at around 75hz), which reduced the flicker a lot.

But it sounds like you’re not one to be bothered by that sort of thing.. that’s fine but at least understand that it makes a night and day difference to many others. So much more fluid and responsive.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
A few days ago, I switched my 14 pro from 120hz to 60hz. It was jarring at first, but I’m pretty much used to it now. Battery life is much better because of it.

Its a nice feature to have, though not really needed.

Reactions: d.o.p.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.