Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radin.Y

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Michigan
I experience a number of issues with iMessages in both iOS and iPadOS.
1. deleting attachments is an absolute chore!! Every tIke I try to scroll back to select extra images to be deleted, it randomly opens the image instead of selecting it, which undoes anytime I had selected before, so I have to scroll down and start again.
2. Deleting messages from the info section of chat often is pointless, as images appear in the section again.
3. deleting them from the info section sometimes appears to work. But scrolling back, the images and videos are still there! (happens on macOS too!
4. I cleared most of the iMessage threads I had on my iPad, but in settings app, under storage breakdown, I can still find the pictures and videos.
these issues and bugs have been persistent year after year and honestly I am contemplating caving and using WhatsApp instead as my main platform. storage management is waaaaaaay better on that app. Apple should learn a few things from Meta (i never thought I’d ever say that)

my devices are up to date. My iPad is brand new, set up from scratch, and i don’t use iMessage in iCloud. So this is not a cross platform issue, or syncing issue. Simply put, it’s a mess!

now how many of you encounter these issues?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I haven't encountered any of the issues with iMessage you've listed. I only have a few message threads that I keep for important people in my life and I never delete anything from them. All other messages get deleted when I'm done with the conversation. I start a new message if I need to contact them again. I would never even consider using WhatsApp and none of my family or friends use it either.

Radin.Y

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Michigan
I haven't encountered any of the issues with iMessage you've listed. I only have a few message threads that I keep for important people in my life and I never delete anything from them. All other messages get deleted when I'm done with the conversation. I start a new message if I need to contact them again. I would never even consider using WhatsApp and none of my family or friends use it either.
Well I moved to Europe and most people here use WhatsApp. And not everyone has an iPhone so iMessage is not applicable in those cases. If you had ever used WhatsApp you’d know how much it is better in managing storage. It is very very well thought out.
but yeah since you never delete anything from your threads, you can’t encounter these issues.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Same issue here. I am almost OCD when it comes to deleting iMessage attachments since I save everything to the photo app. Therefore I TRY to delete every attached photo and video at least once a month.

However, Settings > Storage > Messages never matches the actual files in the messaging app itself.

I would delete everything in settings but iMessage still shows photos in the conversations itself or I would delete everything there as well and suddenly a day later the messaging app shows photos, that were not there to begin with or are super old.

Also why is there STILL no freaking delete all button for attachments or at least a swipe selection like in the photos app.

I am about to go back to WhatsApp full time again. Storage management is so much easier there

Radin.Y

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Michigan
Same issue here. I am almost OCD when it comes to deleting iMessage attachments since I save everything to the photo app. Therefore I TRY to delete every attached photo and video at least once a month.

However, Settings > Storage > Messages never matches the actual files in the messaging app itself.

I would delete everything in settings but iMessage still shows photos in the conversations itself or I would delete everything there as well and suddenly a day later the messaging app shows photos, that were not there to begin with or are super old.

Also why is there STILL no freaking delete all button for attachments or at least a swipe selection like in the photos app.

I am about to go back to WhatsApp full time again. Storage management is so much easier there
And these issues are not new. Year and after! It is very annoying!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
And these issues are not new. Year and after! It is very annoying!
Year after year, I don’t notice this issue because I don’t fiddle with my threads. I suspect I’m in the majority, which is probably why no resources have gone toward fixing this bug.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
So you just leave every attachment in iMessage? How do you sleep at night haha 😅

My WhatsApp back up for references is 20 mb because I delete every photo and video since everything auto saves to the camera roll and I don’t need to have everything double

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.