Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SonRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Okay,

I was going to ask on iPhone, but they're all going nuts about that sexy iPhone 6. In fact, I have one coming too, but I realized I never got around to do something I should have done months/years ago.

I switched over from Galaxy Nexus to iPhone 5 when it came out, and instead of doing some sloppy transfer, I realized that since these are smart phones, I'm sure it could just auto use my Google ones if I sign in.

And it works! Except, I'm slowly trying to remove myself from the Google ecosystem. Not because I don't like Android, I honestly do. Verizon's lack of punctual updates on the Nexus made me switch over so I can get updates the day they came out, because Apple has a stronghold and can bully carriers.

So yes, I want to consolidate all my contacts into my iCloud/iPhone itself. Without having to have myself have the "Google Contacts" active in the Mail,Contacts,Calendars setting.

It's really apparent when I go on my Macbook, and not all my contacts are there. I have to manually type in their numbers/imessage emails.

Thanks for any help!

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
Okay,

I was going to ask on iPhone, but they're all going nuts about that sexy iPhone 6. In fact, I have one coming too, but I realized I never got around to do something I should have done months/years ago.

I switched over from Galaxy Nexus to iPhone 5 when it came out, and instead of doing some sloppy transfer, I realized that since these are smart phones, I'm sure it could just auto use my Google ones if I sign in.

And it works! Except, I'm slowly trying to remove myself from the Google ecosystem. Not because I don't like Android, I honestly do. Verizon's lack of punctual updates on the Nexus made me switch over so I can get updates the day they came out, because Apple has a stronghold and can bully carriers.

So yes, I want to consolidate all my contacts into my iCloud/iPhone itself. Without having to have myself have the "Google Contacts" active in the Mail,Contacts,Calendars setting.

It's really apparent when I go on my Macbook, and not all my contacts are there. I have to manually type in their numbers/imessage emails.

Thanks for any help!

Here's a guide:
http://www.cultofmac.com/210971/transfer-google-contacts-to-icloud-simply-and-easily-ios-tips/

SonRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011

Hey there! Thanks for the link.

I ended up figuring it out myself, and didn't update this topic hoping it would just die off. Yes, this is the literally the same thing I did.

One possible issue for people is that this method ended up importing all my email contacts as well. I had to do a little cleanup and remove contacts manually that had no numbers. Not too big of a deal, and now I can just iCloud for my phone's contact management.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.