Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobbytouche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2024
To be fair, it’s been happening prior to 14.2.1, but it is constant. I have the crash report here. It’s a 2019 iMac 3.7 GHz i5.

Please help. I can’t afford to replace this right now.

Bobbytouche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2024
IMG_8692.jpeg

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
You must give us more information on the system configuration - how much RAM does it have, which HD/SSD size and your general usage pattern while the crash happens (running file transfer, high CPU utilization, many background tasks, RAM pressure in the red).

You can use the app "Activiy Monitor" to show you some of those statistics.

From first glance I would suspect problems with your HD/SSD and/or main APFS formatted volume. If it is still a HD or HD/SSD fusion drive, this could very well be the culprit.

Reactions: Bobbytouche

Bobbytouche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2024
You must give us more information on the system configuration - how much RAM does it have, which HD/SSD size and your general usage pattern while the crash happens (running file transfer, high CPU utilization, many background tasks, RAM pressure in the red).

You can use the app "Activiy Monitor" to show you some of those statistics.

From first glance I would suspect problems with your HD/SSD and/or main APFS formatted volume. If it is still a HD or HD/SSD fusion drive, this could very well be the culprit.
3.7 GHz 6-core Intel Core i5
40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Apple SSD SM1024L

It looks like kernel_task stays pretty busy. Not sure what it is, but maybe it’s related. lol.

Attachments

• IMG_8702.jpeg
    IMG_8702.jpeg
    447.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8703.jpeg
    IMG_8703.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8704.jpeg
    IMG_8704.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8704.jpeg
    IMG_8704.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8705.jpeg
    IMG_8705.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8706.jpeg
    IMG_8706.jpeg
    505 KB · Views: 48

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
Do you have an active and working backup of your complete data and system via TimeMachine to an external SSD or a NAS (Network Attached Storage)?

I understand that you upgraded from one macos version to the next on the same volume for the last couple of versions - via system preference software update?

Is your internal APFS drive additionally encrypted? Check this via the app "disk utility", which is part of macos.

Last edited:

Bobbytouche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2024
Do you have an active and working backup of your complete data and system via TimeMachine to an external SSD or a NAS (Network Attached Storage)?

I understand that you upgraded from one macos version to the next on the same volume for the last couple of versions - via system preference software update?

Is your internal APFS drive additionally encrypted? Check this via the app "disk utility", which is part of macos.
Sorry it took me a bit. I needed to backup to external, but it would crash occasionally. But alas, it is backed up via Time Machine.

I updated from General > Software update.

As for the APFS, under HD info, it shows that it’s NOT encrypted.

Attachments

• IMG_8753.jpeg
    IMG_8753.jpeg
    417.3 KB · Views: 35

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
I suspect a corrupt macos install and/or APFS file system.

Get another external SSD for a second backup and then reformat the internal drive completely. Reinstall from scratch and transfer your files and settings via the TimeMachine backup.

The Software Carbon Copy Cloner is a good alternative aka second backup strategy for macos:

Try to organize your files in a way, that you always have your data synchronized in the cloud, be it iCloud or OneDrive or other services.

Bobbytouche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2024
I suspect a corrupt macos install and/or APFS file system.

Get another external SSD for a second backup and then reformat the internal drive completely. Reinstall from scratch and transfer your files and settings via the TimeMachine backup.

The Software Carbon Copy Cloner is a good alternative aka second backup strategy for macos:

Try to organize your files in a way, that you always have your data synchronized in the cloud, be it iCloud or OneDrive or other services.
Oh cool! I backed up to an external ssd. So I should be good to format and reinstall?

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
Is it a fresh TimeMachine back, which is complete (marked as finished)?

Best would be to have a second backup of your system and your most important data.

You always want to have at least 3 backups, one of them far from where you live.

Try it and let us know it turned out.

Last edited:

thewall

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
U.K
This thread makes very interesting reading and very informative.

Last edited:

Bobbytouche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2024
So, I made a backup on two drives, wiped the hard drive, and went to boot from a bootable flash drive I made and the computer apparently couldn’t find it. I must have made it wrong. But not to worry, the computer connected to the web and installed Mojave. Then I could update it to Sonoma. I’ve only reinstalled Adobe Illustrator and Reaper DAW so far. No crashes in 3 or 4 days. I’m a bit nervous to completely recover everything from Time Machine. I’m concerned that the problem may exist in a program/file that I had on the computer prior.

Bobbytouche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2024
OK, two months later and yeah, I dropped the ball and left this project alone for a while to tend to some other projects. I am still having the same issue. I just ran a hardware test and everything came out clean.

This seems to occur Whether or not I'm running heavy programs (Illustrator, Reaper) or as light as just a safari window.

I've just been white-knuckling through it and allowing the annoyance, but I'd really like to get this sorted out.

Jashue

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2014
Syracuse
Not to hijack your thread, but I'm in the middle of a similar hell.
For much of the last week, my computer (2020 3.8 Comet Lake, with 16GB Ram & 4TB SS drive) has been going through several kernel panics per day. I was under the assumption that a kernel panic was a hardware issue and that there was no software solution to the problem, I.e., I'm fusked.

Reluctantly, I journeyed over the Apple Store to replace the ailing machine. Apple, in its infinite wisdom, no longer manufactures a machine to replace the 27" iMac so I found myself in a position to replace it with the closest equivalent-- the Mac Studio and a Studio Display. I can't afford it— at least not comfortably— and the whole issue has left me pretty depressed.

A day after placing the order, the kernel panics stopped. I haven't had the issue in two days. The Studio is a BTO, so I had time to cancel it.

Now watch the issue return....

Bobbytouche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2024
Not to hijack your thread, but I'm in the middle of a similar hell.
For much of the last week, my computer (2020 3.8 Comet Lake, with 16GB Ram & 4TB SS drive) has been going through several kernel panics per day. I was under the assumption that a kernel panic was a hardware issue and that there was no software solution to the problem, I.e., I'm fusked.

Reluctantly, I journeyed over the Apple Store to replace the ailing machine. Apple, in its infinite wisdom, no longer manufactures a machine to replace the 27" iMac so I found myself in a position to replace it with the closest equivalent-- the Mac Studio and a Studio Display. I can't afford it— at least not comfortably— and the whole issue has left me pretty depressed.

A day after placing the order, the kernel panics stopped. I haven't had the issue in two days. The Studio is a BTO, so I had time to cancel it.

Now watch the issue return....
I hear ya! I don’t mean to sound discouraging, but mine stopped for a week or so. Now it’s happening once every few days. It comes and goes. I can’t seem to be able to replicate what’s causing it. I try my usual programs open together, separate, active, idle, sitting for a few days. It sort of just happens when we it pleases just to throw off my notion that I’ve either found a pattern or a solution. I hope you have better luck and/or enjoy your new machine!

Jashue

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2014
Syracuse
I hear ya! I don’t mean to sound discouraging, but mine stopped for a week or so. Now it’s happening once every few days. It comes and goes. I can’t seem to be able to replicate what’s causing it. I try my usual programs open together, separate, active, idle, sitting for a few days. It sort of just happens when we it pleases just to throw off my notion that I’ve either found a pattern or a solution. I hope you have better luck and/or enjoy your new machine!
I did wind up cancelling the order. Bittersweet. I really can't afford the expense at this time, so I'm going to wait and see. Plus— the M3 chips are hitting the other lines, so the Mac Studio can't be that far behind. I hate buying something just before a newer model comes out. My 2020 iMac was purchased within months of Apple Silicon (not that they graced us with a 27" iMac, of course). Ya need 'em when you need 'em though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.