Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Running iOS 12.4.1 on the iPhone 8. The update notification popups for iOS 13 are becoming more intrusive and frequent. We're talking about them popping up during phone calls, games, snapchat, you name it. Has anyone else experiences this as of lately?

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Well the tvOS 12 certificate expired so that no longer works to block updates.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
The trick with installing tvOS of any version no longer works but if it did it would require iOS 13. As for the red update badge on the Settings icon, it's not removable unless the phone is jail-broken. I saw a thread where some user laid out specific steps to undertake to remove the badge but I have a hard time finding it again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Candlelight

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I blocked the update server at the router thus silencing them:

mesu.apple.com
appldnld.apple.com

BTW does anyone know how to stop an Apple TV from nagging to update? (obviously a tvOS Beta Profile won't work since it's a TV, and it happened before I router blocked it. One of my ATVs is annoying me about it every time I wake it up)

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I'm on iOS 13 by choice. But it's the last 'update' I'll do. It is too good to warrant the risk of bugs or unnecessary changes to update again. I've stopped caring about updates. I just enjoy my devices and remain confident they'll never change to an undesirable state. My ATVs are on whatever they were running when I bought them.

Just wish there were a way to stop my bedroom ATV from nagging me to update. It does it only once when I wake it up. I was unable to block updates at the router before it discovered one was available, so I can't stop it. Just have to keep saying 'later'

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
So what makes you all remain on iOS 12?

I've been playing with tech longer than I care to remember, and while what we have now is truly amazing compared to when I started, the increase in complexity, shorter development cycles, and decrease in testing and expectations of quality have made the risk/reward ratio tilted too far in favor of the former to proceed with anything other than caution and not blindly install every update presented.

Ultimately, all these things are tools, and tools must do their jobs properly to retain trust. There's also something to be said for stepping away from the grind, and sticking with what works.

iOS 13 has some attractive features, but evidently wasn't completely cooked, and not ready for mass consumption. 13.4 appears to have reached a level of maturity that seems acceptable, and combined with service upgrades that require a newer carrier bundle than in 12 probably means I'll update when it's released.

In the interim, after a peaceful 2019, Apple has pushed the 13 OTA update packge to my phone three times in the past couple weeks, so it's clearly becoming more anxious.

That attitude is one of the most annoying things about the Apple of last half-decade or so.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
I blocked the update server at the router thus silencing them:

mesu.apple.com
appldnld.apple.com

That's good to know. Another problem is I don't know how to fix it up with my ADB Broadband router. I poked around its software's UI far and wide and found nothing where I could enter any IP or DNS address to block the connection.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
My router is a NetGear NightHawk AC1900 router. It was not cheap. But it has a 'block sites' section where you can not just block domains, but enable keywords to block so I also added everything related to ads, updates, software, software updates, etc to the list.

Now there's an exception, if you have the number 1 badge on settings you are stuck with it and an error will come up falsely claiming 'There was an error checking for the update' or 'Your iPad/iPhone/etc does not have enough free space to check for the update'.

I rebooted my iPad however and the badge disappeared. My Apple TV in the bedroom still annoys me to update with only the 'remind later' option able to dismiss it until the next time. Seems once certain devices download the update, you're stuck with constant nags until you give in.

It also won't stop your Mac from showing the banner for App Store updates. I worked around that by simply tricking Do Not Disturb to turn on at 12:00AM and turn off at 11:59 PM.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
I rebooted my iPad however and the badge disappeared. My Apple TV in the bedroom still annoys me to update with only the 'remind later' option able to dismiss it until the next time. Seems once certain devices download the update, you're stuck with constant nags until you give in.

It also won't stop your Mac from showing the banner for App Store updates. I worked around that by simply tricking Do Not Disturb to turn on at 12:00AM and turn off at 11:59 PM.

I noticed that if I delete the iOS 13 download from my phone then it gets rid of the badge until the next prompt. So blocking sites with the subsequent badge removal should work at this window, i.e., just after wiping off the OTA.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
You can delete the download? I never saw any option to delete, just 'install' and 'remind me later'

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
You can delete the download? I never saw any option to delete, just 'install' and 'remind me later'

Settings --> General -->iPhone Storage. There you'll find it ("iOS 13.3.1 update"). Apple is so blatant that it pushes this download forcibly without you being aware.

Last edited:

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Mine under the software update alway say 'download and install' So far I've not fallen victim to having it already downloaded onto an iPhone or iPad, just my Apple TV in the bedroom before I was able to block the source at the router. So it's constantly nagging to update.

I am very aware of how forcibly they try, as well. I remember when both my iPad 3 and iPhone 4 had downloaded and installed the update to iOS 7. I still hate that and any flat design OS (especially 7 and 8, winning top prize in ugly). At the time I thought nothing of it since Apple never burned me in an update before. But after that, I'm extremely wary of updates these days. I like things the way they are once they work well for me. During my tenure with Android, I know all too well how often Google loved to move things around with every update forcing me to learn all over again which really peeved me off! I won't even shop any store that constantly moves things around over and over again. I always memorize where everything is then they go and mess it up for no reason.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Mine under the software update alway say 'download and install' So far I've not fallen victim to having it already downloaded onto an iPhone or iPad, just my Apple TV in the bedroom before I was able to block the source at the router. So it's constantly nagging to update.

Read what I wrote carefully, I indicated the path to the downloaded file. It's not under the "Software Update" section.

Last edited:

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Is that the same on an Apple TV? That's the one that's nagging me. I'll keep your tip in mind if my iPad/iPhone/Apple Watch/Mac decide to ignore my router block.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.