Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
I am finding that Youtube constantly switches resolutions when set to auto or stops playing when set to 1080p on both my iPad Air 2 and my iPhone 6+.

It's not a network speed issue, as we have android tablets and computers on the same network that can playback smoothly.

Is there some sort of known issue with the Youtube app on iOS?

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I am finding that Youtube constantly switches resolutions when set to auto or stops playing when set to 1080p on both my iPad Air 2 and my iPhone 6+.

It's not a network speed issue, as we have android tablets and computers on the same network that can playback smoothly.

Yes, this has been happening to others as well, particularly on these newly released devices. Until youtube fixes the app, I've heard that a nice working alternative is the app Protube, but it is a paid app.

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008

this has been a problem for me since the AIR 1. Its not a speed issue because its never a problem on any other device.

midwestfisherma

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
S.E. Mich
I have the same issue on my Air 2. I quit using the app and just go to Youtube through my browser. Chrome or Safari, either one works fine.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014

Yeah YouTube just sucks basically even on a PC.
Apart from the issues you mentioned this also comes to my mind.
1) forwarding a video. Most of the time it will freeze the video and I either have to press pause/play or change the resolution to make it play again. This happens even if the grey "fake and make believe" loading bar is completely loaded.
2) too many frequent "error, try again" messages while trying to start playing a video. A reload fixes the problem.
3) no volume bar on iOS is just beyond stupid
4) damn app logo is still 3d at the bottom

On the positive, YouTube on iOS at least again remembers where your left off in the last few videos you watched. This was broken for months.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I think the youtube app just sucks. I am using protube on my iPad and it streams 1080p video without a hiccup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.