Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
Constellation is a psychological thriller television series created by Peter Harness.
The first three episodes were released today.
MV5BMDEzMjE3MTItMzYyNi00NTJmLWJiMjEtODgxYTcxZWJhNTAxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODk4OTc3MTY@.jpg

Official description:
When a fatal accident occurs on board the International Space Station, a lone astronaut makes the heroic journey back to Earth, only to discover key pieces of her life—including her young daughter—have changed.

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
I only watched the first episode so far. So I can't say much, but so far it's very good imho.
Could be a start to a great show.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I want to believe there are good shows on this service, but honestly so much disappointment, I just can’t waste more time trying. Happy to give it a try but is there family drama In this one, too?

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
I saw all three episodes now. I'm loving it so far.
The ISS set looks great, the weightlessness was done really great. The mystery is interesting, I like to think about it and come up with ideas what's happening. I wasn't bored one second.

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
Really no one else watching? So far it's really good mystery. Episode 4 was awesome. This show has the potential to become one of my favourites. I just hope there will be a second season.

Reactions: sevoneone

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
I've been watching and liking it a lot so far as well. I think the premise of Jo's experiences in her life not being totally the same after coming back is somewhat intertwined with the quantum physics aspect of the show where something can be in two different states at the same time until looked upon by an observer. There's subtle differences from what she remembers or is experiencing now and the two timelines seem to overlap at various times without a warning or explanation.

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
The last two episodes were really awesome. Straight 10 out of 10 from me!
Too bad next episode will be the finale already.

Reactions: MacManiac76

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I did too and I died of agony. So many family drama, damn! Honestly, it’s a good show if you can compartiment the sci-fi piece and the race to space from the whole soa/family drama but it’s hard because one season it’s 50-50 balanced between both but another one you get several episodes of only family drama. It’s used as a filler, which is weird because there is a lot of content to rely on, on the story itself.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’m 4 episodes in. No need to correct me, but there seems to be some parallel universe kind of action, going on. Not loving , but enjoying it. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I did too and I died of agony. So many family drama, damn! Honestly, it’s a good show if you can compartiment the sci-fi piece and the race to space from the whole soa/family drama but it’s hard because one season it’s 50-50 balanced between both but another one you get several episodes of only family drama. It’s used as a filler, which is weird because there is a lot of content to rely on, on the story itself.
I believe this is a reply about For All Mankind, which I love, but that’s ok, to each their own. :)

Reactions: gigatoaster

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I barely managed to complete Constellation. It was too many episodes of people lost and confused trying to figure out their circumstances in a parallel reality scenario, where the boundary between them is meager at best. At the end, there is resolution of sorts for one family, but the payoff for sticking though multiple episodes of “Mama!”, “Alice!” is not worth it. Now it‘s possible that season 2 (not yet released) is a continuation of this story, with these characters because things were not resolved for all of them. I’m just not that interested in enduring the continuation of the premise as presented.

Last edited:
Reactions: gigatoaster

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I'd say it was 6-ish hours of good TV needlessly dragged out to 8-ish hours. I'm all for some "slow burn" drama, but "some is good" doesn't always mean that "more is better". The industry doesn't seem to have a middle gear and has flipped between squashing a 600 page novel's-worth of plot into a 2-hour movie straight to trying to spread a short story's worth of plot over three 8-hour seasons.

TOTAL SPOILERS follow - don't read on if you plan to watch the show.

At the end, there is resolution of sorts for one family, but the payoff for sticking though multiple episodes of “Mama!”, “Alice!” is not worth it.
Turns out that we should have been paying more attention to whether she was yelling "Mama!" or "Mummy!" each time - I'm sure a re-watch would be revealing, but life is too short...

I think the main problem was using anachronic order on top of the story's primary gimmick of flipping between two realities, dreams and maybe-hallucinations, so by the time you've seen (say) the frozen lake scene in flash-forward, then seen the 'real time' re-cap intercut with alternate-reality versions it gets a bit tedious. Then, darned if Alice doesn't run off and get stuck in the same cupboard, the same way again (you'd think that the first time would be an adequate education). OK, its supposed to be mind-bending, but I'm not sure the two (?) timelines even make sense once you unravel them.

I was actually OK with the way it left things at the end - there was quite a bit of resolution aside from the obvious hooks for the second season. Problem is, most of that resolution happened in Episode 6, if not before...

Still, I enjoyed it on balance.

However, I thought "Shining Girls" did a better job of being entertainingly confusing.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.