Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bbiwer14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Hartland, WI
I work for a dev shop and one of our devs was lucky enough to 'win' a dev kit last month for the new ATV. However, when orders opened up, we ordered another set to have at the office. We just realized the consumer ATV doesn't ship with a USB-C. What are our options for installing some test apps for a client on the ATV? Should we order a USB-C?

hollersoft

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
Your options are the same as with the "dev kit" device (hardware is the same). TestFlight (no cable) or direct from Xcode (needs cable, device counts against your development device limit).

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
TestFlight is no option anymore, it has been disabled today.

hollersoft

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
Yes, at the time I wrote that I was under the impression it would be possible to update the dev kit devices to release without a cable. Turns out that's not the case (or at least the Apple folks in the forums have posted instructions that start with "connect to a Mac via USB"...)

TestFlight still works; you just need the release OS so you can download it from the App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.