Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lorenzo F

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
I have an iPhone 12 mini and use Consumer Cellular (CC) in the San Francisco Bay Area. I would like to take advantage of 5G. I moved my old SIM card from my iPhone SE and can't get 5G service.

I chose AT&T as my "provider" through Consumer Cellular (CC) when I signed up. I can see on AT&T's map that I should be picking up 5G in many parts of the Bay Area, but I don't see it. I tried calling CC customer service, but they haven't been helpful and simply tell me 5G isn't supported yet even though I point out AT&T's coverage map and CC's website claims it should.

Does anyone have any tips on getting 5G with CC?

Last edited:

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I wonder if CC's web site has some bad information. T-Mobile-based services have typically gotten access to the entire network all at once, while AT&T seems to be holding 5G back. Right now, only some postpaid plans can access it, and only the current top-tier prepaid plans can access it (for both AT&T Prepaid and Cricket). If CC gets it on their capped plans, I think that would be the only case that a non-unlimited plan from AT&T or an AT&T MVNO has 5G access.

Lorenzo F

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
I wonder if CC's web site has some bad information. T-Mobile-based services have typically gotten access to the entire network all at once, while AT&T seems to be holding 5G back. Right now, only some postpaid plans can access it, and only the current top-tier prepaid plans can access it (for both AT&T Prepaid and Cricket). If CC gets it on their capped plans, I think that would be the only case that a non-unlimited plan from AT&T or an AT&T MVNO has 5G access.
It's interesting that CC goes so far as to "encourage" you to buy a 5G smartphone because they have 5G availability on their network, telling you to "View our 5G smartphone choices here":

1611356104268.png

Yet there is no information on their website about only certain plans allowing 5G.

Although I personally didn't get the iPhone 12 mini super excited about 5G because I don't currently use any applications that could make use of it, I could see how someone would be very frustrated if they ordered a 5G smartphone through CC, intending to actually access 5G, only to find that they could not.

Attachments

• 1611356131907.png
    1611356131907.png
    123.8 KB · Views: 153

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
When I swapped my SIM card from my Xs to my 12, Verizon sent me a text saying this:
Verizon Msg: We noticed you switched the SIM card in your 5G device. To get access to the full benefits of 5G, please use the pre-installed 5G SIM card that came with your device. If you're unable to locate the original 5G SIM card or did not receive one, visit verizon.com/support/contact-us to contact us for help in completing your activation.
Maybe you need a new SIM card that supports 5G. The 12 was unlocked so it did not include a SIM card.

Lorenzo F

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
Thanks, @7thson, for the suggestion. I'll have to look into that once I can actually be on a network that supports 5G.

I recently found out on the comments section of this Consumer Cellular (CC) blog post

that CC is not being transparent and even if you choose AT&T as your provider through CC, you do not necessarily have access to a 5G network. @eschwarz, perhaps you are right that only certain customers or specific sections of the AT&T network have 5G turned on.

Reactions: ecschwarz

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Thanks, @7thson, for the suggestion. I'll have to look into that once I can actually be on a network that supports 5G.

I recently found out on the comments section of this Consumer Cellular (CC) blog post

that CC is not being transparent and even if you choose AT&T as your provider through CC, you do not necessarily have access to a 5G network. @eschwarz, perhaps you are right that only certain customers or specific sections of the AT&T network have 5G turned on.
It’s not just CC. Verizon shows my plan as being 5G, which I was surprised to see, but when I looked at the details, I will need to fork over more $ to access it. So. Much. Hype.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
It’s not just CC. Verizon shows my plan as being 5G, which I was surprised to see, but when I looked at the details, I will need to fork over more $ to access it. So. Much. Hype.

From what I've seen so far and my own experience, Verizon includes "Nationwide 5G" (aka sub-6GHz) with most, if not all plans (including their in-house prepaid plans). To get "Ultra Wideband 5G" (aka mmWave), that's typically a $10 upcharge and on unlimited plans only (prepaid just got it). Visible includes both, but mmWave is capped at 200Mbps. Verizon 5G works with the "4G SIM" but some mmWave upgrades and maybe standalone 5G will require the 5G SIM...they haven't been entirely clear on that. I was using the SIM from my iPhone 11 (no 5G branding on it) in my 12 mini and was able to connect to "Nationwide 5G" when I had Verizon. Speeds were a little better than LTE in the same area, but it handled congestion a lot better.

AT&T says no 5G at all unless you're on select unlimited plans (same for Cricket and AT&T Prepaid). Most other AT&T MVNOs don't have access to 5G. Standard AT&T and Cricket SIMs are fine for 5G.

T-Mobile allows access to all 5G services (mostly 600MHz n71 and 2500MHz n41, but mmWave in very few select markets) on all plans (including the lowly $15 Connect prepaid plan) and most prepaid services on T-Mobile also get access (Metro, CC with a T-Mobile SIM, Mint, Ultra, etc.) They're in the process of tearing up and rebuilding things in a lot of areas so some things are broken or not much better than LTE speeds (n71 typically doesn't, but handles congestion better, n41 can be much faster). I've seen a few spots where it's done, and it's pretty nice. They're not deploying nearly as much mmWave as Verizon, so I'm not sure who has access, but it sounds like anyone should.

As for SIMs, T-Mobile SIMs with R15 (current generation) get access to standalone 5G. Older SIMs may work for non-standalone 5G (the TM9263 SIM seems fine for now) and of course, there's a bit of confusion and lack of clarity.

Last edited:

yticolev

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
When I swapped my SIM card from my Xs to my 12, Verizon sent me a text saying this:
Verizon Msg: We noticed you switched the SIM card in your 5G device. To get access to the full benefits of 5G, please use the pre-installed 5G SIM card that came with your device. If you're unable to locate the original 5G SIM card or did not receive one, visit verizon.com/support/contact-us to contact us for help in completing your activation.
Maybe you need a new SIM card that supports 5G. The 12 was unlocked so it did not include a SIM card.
My 6S sim card didn't work at all in the Mini. According to Verizon, I needed a 5G sim to make the Mini work. Took two lengthy calls on subsequent days to port the 5G sim that came with my phone to my number.

Funny that, as my older family plan does not allow 5G anyway. I have turned off 5G in phone settings just in case searching for such networks burn battery life. That was the case when LTE became available.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
As for SIMs, T-Mobile SIMs with R15 (current generation) get access to standalone 5G. Older SIMs may work for non-standalone 5G (the TM9263 SIM seems fine for now) and of course, there's a bit of confusion and lack of clarity.
I used the T-Mobile SIM card (TM9222) from the iPhone 6S+ in the iPhone 12 Pro Max and had no issue with connecting to and using 5G. Switching between LTE and 5G, there was definite speed difference.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I used the T-Mobile SIM card (TM9222) from the iPhone 6S+ in the iPhone 12 Pro Max and had no issue with connecting to and using 5G. Switching between LTE and 5G, there was definite speed difference.
Yeah, I have a few really old ones with the 200MB/month Free Data for Life plans I may try just as a data point. From what it seems, most SIMs get non-standalone 5G (NSA vs. SA 5G won't even be a factor on iOS until 14.5 anyway): https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/latest-sim-for-great-network-experience

r1wigs

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2021
I have an iPhone 12 mini and use Consumer Cellular (CC) in the San Francisco Bay Area. I would like to take advantage of 5G. I moved my old SIM card from my iPhone SE and can't get 5G service.

I chose AT&T as my "provider" through Consumer Cellular (CC) when I signed up. I can see on AT&T's map that I should be picking up 5G in many parts of the Bay Area, but I don't see it. I tried calling CC customer service, but they haven't been helpful and simply tell me 5G isn't supported yet even though I point out AT&T's coverage map and CC's website claims it should.

Does anyone have any tips on getting 5G with CC?
I found my way here because I just recently bought a new 5G Samsung S20 FE to use on CC. It doesn't connect 5G, its not even listed in the network setting. I complained on a CC forum that 5G wasn't actually available on CC phones and my post was deleted. 5G on CC is a hoax!

nugentjeep45

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
I have an original Consumer Cellular sim card from 3 years ago, that I recently put in a brand new iPhone 12 Pro and I am now getting a 5G signal. I live in KY.

Lorenzo F

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
Update: in the second week of June, my carrier settings were updated and voila--I have 5G on my iPhone 12 mini in the SF Bay Area on Consumer Cellular. Hopefully the rollout continues for the rest of CC customers.

r1wigs

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2021
Update: in the second week of June, my carrier settings were updated and voila--I have 5G on my iPhone 12 mini in the SF Bay Area on Consumer Cellular. Hopefully the rollout continues for the rest of CC customers.
After spending 5 hours on the phone (2 calls) with CC my phone still isn't connecting 5G. This carrier setting update, was this something CC had told you was going to happen? CC is currently telling me that the 5G towers in my area are being overloaded and hence I can't connect. lol This makes no sense because I work 3rd shift and it never works, even at 3 AM. They even had me get a new SIM card but it didn't change. One gentleman I was speaking with basically told me 4 LTE was good enough and I'm just being picky.

Lorenzo F

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
No, CC didn't tell me it was going to happen. I just got the generic "Updated carrier settings available. Download now?" or something to that effect, similar to what I've gotten from even AT&T when I was with them. There was no message saying it would allow 5G.

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble, @r1wigs. As you may have read when I first started this thread, CC's customer service wasn't very helpful when I tried.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
After spending 5 hours on the phone (2 calls) with CC my phone still isn't connecting 5G. This carrier setting update, was this something CC had told you was going to happen? CC is currently telling me that the 5G towers in my area are being overloaded and hence I can't connect. lol This makes no sense because I work 3rd shift and it never works, even at 3 AM. They even had me get a new SIM card but it didn't change. One gentleman I was speaking with basically told me 4 LTE was good enough and I'm just being picky.
Sorry if this was answered further up the thread, but which network are you using with CC? I know they resold AT&T and T-Mobile service and it might be the cause. T-Mobile has allowed just about any MVNO and plan to work on 5G, while AT&T has been stingy with access (typically only unlimited plans and only from their in-house brands like AT&T itself and Cricket).

If someone is running on AT&T's network via CC can access 5G, please chime in, but otherwise I think that might be why it's working for some and not others.

SIMs for AT&T typically start with 890141 and SIMs for T-Mobile typically start with 8901260 if that will help.

cousintim

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2015
If you have a T(-Mobile) SIM, access to T-Mobile's Extended Range (slower) 5G networks has been available since at least last October. Access to T-Mobile's faster (mid-band), Ultra Capacity network is pending.

Access to 5G with an A(T&T) SIM was added later.

A T SIM also allows international roaming, which an A SIM did not, when I last checked.

CC customers can switch networks by requesting a new SIM from CC customer service.

r1wigs

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2021
Update: After fighting with Consumer Cellular for many months I just gave up and forgot about it! In January I received a notice my phone was updating to Android 12. Later I noticed a 5G symbol on my phone and I was shocked. I did many speed tests when it connects 5G and it sometimes is rated fast but most often it rates poor. I guess the old saying be careful what you wish for. We decided to upgrade my wife's phone and we got her a CC 5G phone. It doesn't connect 5G! Surprise, Surprise! Oh well, she doesn't care anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.