Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spellflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
I went looking for an old friend’s contact info in Contacts and was surprised that it wasn’t there. I searched in the app and scrolled to her name, but both came up blank.

Then I searched from the main search field on the phone, and it came right up. I can open it in contacts, and edit it, but it still doesn’t appear in the app.

What’s going on? How can I fix it? How can I find out how many other contacts are there but not there?

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Do you have contact groups set up?

If you do then the group your contact is in might be turned off and so they would not be visible in the app but their details are still there and they will appear in a spotlight search.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Similar problem since the inception of iOS 15. Probably half the time when I do a search for contacts they won’t come up so I have to disable then re-enable the particular address book and then they show up. Just yet another problem with iOS 15 for me.

Reactions: JM

spellflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Do you have contact groups set up?

If you do then the group your contact is in might be turned off and so they would not be visible in the app but their details are still there and they will appear in a spotlight search.
Nope, I’ve never heard of contract groups before now.

spellflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Sounds like it’d a bug. How do you disable and re-enable the address book?

FYI, I still have my old phone with iOS 14 and it has the same behavior, so I don’t think we can blame this one on iOS 15.

It does not occur on my work phone though, also running iOS 14 (same iCloud account as other phones).

Last edited:

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Nope, I’ve never heard of contract groups before now.
You do need to enable it by adding groups to your contacts, which you can only do on a Mac IIRC.

At the top of the contacts app I have a ‘Group’ link where I can show / hide specific groups.

Contacts.png

But this link doesn’t appear for my wife on her iPhone as she hasn’t set up any groups.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Searching in Contacts and in the drop down is absolutely busted AF in iOS 15. Many many times I search for a contact and the search results come up blank.

It’s like Apple just gave up.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
Searching in Contacts and in the drop down is absolutely busted AF in iOS 15. Many many times I search for a contact and the search results come up blank.

It’s like Apple just gave up.
As you can see in the other thread you started about this, you seem to be the only one having this problem.

Reactions: Taz Mangus

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
As you can see in the other thread you started about this, you seem to be the only one having this problem.
Yes, it appears that way with the few responses left there. Oh well.

I’m happy there’s Macrumors to post to, to gauge if there’s a widespread issue, or a frustrating one-off problem.

That’s enough for me though ?‍♂️ I’ll just hope it fixes itself, and suffer in silence.

You should have left a link to the thread, though ?

* just saw you chimed in there as well. Thanks. There’s only one poster at the end that has partial results like I do.

** https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/searching-for-contacts-is-busted.2334592/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.