Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ptrizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Been playing with the iPhone 6+ and have the iPhone 6. I love the size of the 6 more and it better suits me but I really like the contact photos displayed in the messages app like in the 6+.

Is it possible to load iOS 8 from the 6+ onto the 6? Or any potential options for getting this now on the iPhone 6? And yes... I want it that much that I created an account to ask about it!

AppleEvent_0130.0.jpg

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I think it's 6 Plus feature only. Which is pretty ridiculous really. Android (e.g. HTC) phones since even the <4" days have had contact pics in a variety of places: contact lists, text message lists, etc.

In the keynote, when they said the 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus was finally big enough to show contacts I nearly laughed. They really think 4.7" is still too small for a contact pic? Hard to believe.

I personally feel it's definitely possible this may come later due to popular demand. But probably not before 8.1 at the earliest (6 months going by iOS 7!)

zoonyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
Northern England
I think it's 6 Plus feature only. Which is pretty ridiculous really. Android (e.g. HTC) phones since even the <4" days have had contact pics in a variety of places: contact lists, text message lists, etc.

In the keynote, when they said the 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus was finally big enough to show contacts I nearly laughed. They really think 4.7" is still too small for a contact pic? Hard to believe.

Only a matter of time before they get jailbroken and some settings tool is released enabling all these plus features.

My personal favourite is safari landscape tabs from the iPad - it's on the 6+ but not the 6.

ptrizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Agreed! The screen is more than large enough, I've seen a couple of threads of people on the 6+ wanting to toggle the contact photos off. They should make it an option on the 6 and 6+ to turn it on and off... shouldn't be too difficult. Maybe it'll be in future iOS 8 updates... after they fix all the bugs

Adding landscape mode and having the ability to turn that on/off would be nice too

Bengalhawks

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2014
It is sort of a bummer, but whats weird is the contact pictures will show up on a group chat. Maybe they will update that in the next update for all messages.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
They definitely rushed ios 8, and it's not just the bugs, the interface feels bizarre in some areas on a Plus. I'm sure iOS 9 will optimize the screens better with more options. I'll be surprised if they don't add a contacts toggle.

HannahLee5

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2015
I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT! In your settings go to display and brightness, then click on view, it will say standard or zoom if you have zoom set it won't work, it has to be on Standard!

Reactions: rickysmomdarla

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT! In your settings go to display and brightness, then click on view, it will say standard or zoom if you have zoom set it won't work, it has to be on Standard!
They only added this option for iPhone 6 recently (as of iOS 9 I believe), so prior to that no matter what view you had you didn't have that option.

Ebonie14

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2015

Can you do this on an iPhone 5s?

01smac99

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2015
Does this work because I've tried it and it does work at all! I have looked and there is now software update.

Shasexy

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2015
Thank u! I went to the Apple Store and asked them. They didn't know and wanted me to make an appointment with the techs and asked them. I declined and used Google instead! Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.