Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MUWarrior10

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2014
Chicago
Ok, I need some help here because I am going crazy. I cannot get my contacts to sync across my iPhone and newly purchased MacBook Pro. I also somehow managed to mess up the contacts on my phone because the names are not appearing in the text messaging thread when they were definitely there before. I do have two MacBook Pros, the older one is running an old MacOs, and contacts are also not syncing there either. Any advice or assistance would be very much appreciated!!! I do need to keep the contacts syncing with google because of my works reliance on gmail and gsuite. Thanks in advance!!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
In my experience, syncing only works reliably when all devices are running current operating systems. That’s for Mac software.
As for google problems- I have no experience using google stuff.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
First step: Figure out where your contacts are currently stored. In the macOS Contacts app make sure that Groups is showing on the left (configured with menu item View>Show Groups). Now you should be able to see the accounts that Contacts is syncing. Are they where you want them?

In iOS you can see the Groups in the Contacts app itself. Same question.

Do this and come back here with an answer.

Reactions: MUWarrior10

MUWarrior10

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2014
Chicago
First step: Figure out where your contacts are currently stored. In the macOS Contacts app make sure that Groups is showing on the left (configured with menu item View>Show Groups). Now you should be able to see the accounts that Contacts is syncing. Are they where you want them?

In iOS you can see the Groups in the Contacts app itself. Same question.

Do this and come back here with an answer.
Both are showing all gmail.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
So the same Gmail account is on both devices and it's the only account (group) that's on both?

What do your contacts look like (in comparison) at the web portal of Google Calendar?

Also, make sure the default account for Contacts is the same Gmail account on all devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.