Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maru409

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2018
hello

i am finding the whole contacts function very confusing
my objective is to keep things simple and store my contacts in "ONE" directory, not a mix of icloud and gmail. i went to icloud.com and imported my gmail contacts, now i do see all of my contacts when i choose the "icloud group"

1)how can i disassociate my gmail contacts while still using the same gmail account for mail?

2)can the contacts be stored and or reside in the phones memory without being dependent on being signed into i cloud or gmail? if i were in some remote area without cell phone service or internet connection i would like to know my contacts were still accessible
(btw- i have learned contacts cannot and do not reside on the sim card in iphone)

3)are contacts in icloud only backed up during the normal backup process or is this ongoing so long as you are signed into icloud?

4)what about if you backup via itunes and a hard wire connection?
if the contacts reside in icloud what happens?

5)if i need to take my contact list from iphone/icloud can this easily import to an android if needed?

sorry for so many questions.
icloud/icloud.com, itunes, gmail..... too many avenues, this is why i find it so confusing.
btw-i use a windows desktop but i am not necessarily looking to use "icloud for windows", dont want to complicate things further by associating my stand alone PC with my iphone

thanks

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
hello

i am finding the whole contacts function very confusing
my objective is to keep things simple and store my contacts in "ONE" directory, not a mix of icloud and gmail. i went to icloud.com and imported my gmail contacts, now i do see all of my contacts when i choose the "icloud group"

1)how can i disassociate my gmail contacts while still using the same gmail account for mail?

2)can the contacts be stored and or reside in the phones memory without being dependent on being signed into i cloud or gmail? if i were in some remote area without cell phone service or internet connection i would like to know my contacts were still accessible
(btw- i have learned contacts cannot and do not reside on the sim card in iphone)

3)are contacts in icloud only backed up during the normal backup process or is this ongoing so long as you are signed into icloud?

4)what about if you backup via itunes and a hard wire connection?
if the contacts reside in icloud what happens?

5)if i need to take my contact list from iphone/icloud can this easily import to an android if needed?

sorry for so many questions.
icloud/icloud.com, itunes, gmail..... too many avenues, this is why i find it so confusing.
btw-i use a windows desktop but i am not necessarily looking to use "icloud for windows", dont want to complicate things further by associating my stand alone PC with my iphone

thanks

Ok...I’ll give it a whirl..lots of questions..please be patient..
1. Go into Settings-Accounts and passwords..go into your gmail one and switch off the contacts.

2. Yes your contacts can be stored on the phone not being dependent upon iCloud, but why would you do that?.. once u have all ur iCloud contacts on the phone, if you have no service they’ll still be there..

3. Yes all iCloud contacts are being synced as long as you are signed into iCloud(and have service of course when any changes are made).

4. iCloud contacts are not in backups..

5. Not sure how to do that as I’ve never done it..but google is your friend..

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I concur.

1) in Settings>Accounts & Passwords>yourgoogleaccount switch off "Contacts"
2) Your contacts will be accessible when you are disconnected from the internet
3) Ongoing when connected
4) Such contacts do not need to be backed up via iTunes. Your account settings are backed up
5) Relatively easy

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
iCloud does backup Contacts on its own. If you go into the iCloud website then Settings, at the lower left is an option/link to restore a previous version of your Contacts (will show you what days are available, select an older one).

maru409

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2018
thank you
switched off contacts for gmail, now i notice the "groups" option is gone in contacts

in icloud.com i went to settings but only see options for import/export/refresh
nothing which allows restoration of a prior version though?
would i first have to select all contacts and export the v-card file to have a point in time backup?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.