Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Hey everbody,

I have been using macrumors for over a year now and recently (last few weeks) I noticed that no matter how I try to post (3 out of 5 times) i get this message

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

Can anybody help? Is it a forum problem or a problem on my side?

Thanx, looking forward for some help:)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-27 at 9.09.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-27 at 9.09.15 PM.png
    151.6 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I don't believe quoted text counts towards the total count of characters in the body of a message. In the screenshot you provided, the only characters in the body of your message were part of a quote. There was no actual "new" text on your part.

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
I don't believe quoted text counts towards the total count of characters in the body of a message. In the screenshot you provided, the only characters in the body of your message were part of a quote. There was no actual "new" text on your part.

but what if i want to answer a specific person by quoting their text and answering parts separately how would i do that?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Hey everbody,

I have been using macrumors for over a year now and recently (last few weeks) I noticed that no matter how I try to post (3 out of 5 times) i get this message

Can anybody help? Is it a forum problem or a problem on my side?

Thanx, looking forward for some help:)

Are you trying to add your reply inside the quote tags? If so, you need to add your text below the quoted text.

That's correct.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
but what if i want to answer a specific person by quoting their text and answering parts separately how would i do that?

You can isolate parts by manually typing quote tags in where you want them. e.g.:

but what if i want to answer a specific

Add [/quote] where you want the quote to end ...

person by quoting their text and answering parts separately how would i do that?

and
where you want the quote to start again.

Please don't reply to someone in the quote tags. It makes the post really hard to read.

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Thanx for the help @r.j.s but is there a way to make the second part of the quote have that user linking arrow like the first one?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

You can put some answers inside the quoted text but you'll still need to add something outside the quote tags. If you do I'd recommend highlighting your replies in bold or a different colour so your answers are easy to spot.

Otherwise you need to split the quoted text up and cut and paste the quote tags at the start and end of each segment.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Thank you everybody (great to have such active and quickly helping mods.)

One learns something new everyday. :)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

what everyone said is true.

But I'd suggest not putting ANY of your reply within the quoted text. Most people don't expect new content to be in the QUOTE. I just skim it, and don't expect any replies in it.

Otherwise, this is what it looks like, and is confusing:

what everyone said is true.

But I'd suggest not putting ANY of your reply within the quoted text. Most people don't expect new content to be in the QUOTE. I just skim it, and don't expect any replies in it.

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.