Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
I have two old Dell monitors, P2715Q and U2412M, connected to a 2019 i9 iMac running MacOS Monterey 12.6.7, whose brightness I can currently only control by accessing their OSD's using the buttons on their cases. I'd like to be able to instead control their brightness with the keyboard.

Ideally, when I adjust the iMac's brightness from the keyboard, I'd like their brightness to adjust at the same time. Lunar claims to do this—has anyone tried it ( https://lunar.fyi/?source=lowtechguys ), or do you know of something better?

Dell does have a Display Device Manager to enable keyboard control of brightnesss on Dell monitors, but the list of monitors with which it's compatible doesn't include either of mine. In addition, it says it doesn't work with iMacs:

Last edited:

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
gah! This ages me....

I have three P2715Q's (used with multiple old Intel comps), and I have always only used the OSD to modify their luminosity.
Heh.

For a one-time adjustment, the OSD is fine. But the iMac's easy keyboard brightness control has spoiled me for how nice it is to turn down the brightness in the morning and evening. Thus I'd like to do that with my two side-displays (the two Dells) as well.

Reactions: splifingate

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I use BetterDisplay for that... I have an LG 32" monitor, but should work.

Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 9.34.28 PM.png

Reactions: theorist9

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
I use BetterDisplay for that... I have an LG 32" monitor, but should work.

View attachment 2232296
Thanks for the suggestion.

BetterDisplay says: "External display hardware backlight control and volume control require DDC capable, natively connected display or an Apple display. " I checked my Dell displays, and both have DDC enabled. However, Dell's website says:

"Dell monitors support DDC/CI on VGA, DVI, DP and HDMI inputs. DDC/CI is not supported on USB connection."

I wonder if that means they are not DDC capable over Thunderbolt. I'll have to try it out to see.

Last edited:

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Lunar claims to do this—has anyone tried it
I only use a single UP2715K but there Lunar works perfectly.
I wonder if that means they are not DDC capable over Thunderbolt. I'll have to try it out to see.
If you use a Thunderbolt to DisplayPort cable, the connection is working in DP-alt mode. Basically DisplayPort but with a USB type C plug on the iMac's end. This includes DDC/CI. No USB involved. Works with Lunar.

Last edited:
  • Love

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
I only use a single UP2715K but there Lunar works perfectly.

If you use a Thunderbolt to DisplayPort cable, the connection is working in DP-alt mode. Basically DisplayPort but with a USB type C plug on the iMac's end. This includes DDC/CI. No USB involved. Works with Lunar.
Which of the three versions of Lunar do you use? There's Lunar Lite on the App store for $3, the free one on their website (not sure how it differs from Lunar Lite), and Lunar Pro for $23.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Thanks for the suggestion.

BetterDisplay says: "External display hardware backlight control and volume control require DDC capable, natively connected display or an Apple display. " I checked my Dell displays, and both have DDC enabled. However, Dell's website says:

"Dell monitors support DDC/CI on VGA, DVI, DP and HDMI inputs. DDC/CI is not supported on USB connection."

I see @arw already replied... but I am running DisplayPort via thunderbolt to DP cable. YMMV. BetterDisplay offers a 14 day trial.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Just reporting in my findings. I've been using Lunar for several months, and it's superb. Thanks to everyone who recommended it. It allows to me to simultaneously (and synchronously) control the brightness on all three of my diplays from the keyboard, which makes things super-convenient.

I did have to buy the paid version (Lunar Pro) to get that multi-display feature. But I don't mind paying a developer for good software, particularly since the price is reasonable: $23. After all, they earned it.

Plus the dev is very responsive to questions on Patreon.

Reactions: picpicmac and arw

Bobbesteijn

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2020
Netherlands
I use the pro version with my apple 27" Thunderbolt and 27" led Cinema display, works perfect. Had different brightness between the display's and couldn't change it on the 27" Cinema led display. Now the brightness and colors are the same on both the display's. Still need to find out how the rest is working. But already love it.

Bobbesteijn

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2020
Netherlands
I used "BetterDisplay" but that didn't work on the 27" Cinema Led Display, there was always a big difference between the brightness on the 27" Thunderbolt Display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.