Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
I am thinking of getting a HomePod mini for my office. Basically looking for a stylish bluetooth speaker that works seamlessly with my Apple Music. I would rather not control it by voice but use the Music app and just set that as the speaker to play on.

I currently have an Ernie Solo One which looks nice, but every morning I constantly have to hold a button on the speaker itself to connect to my MacBook Pro. I know, first world problems. What I would like is to be able to take my MacBook Pro home with me, come back to work the next morning, plug my laptop into my screen and get going and just hit play and either auto connect to the speaker or at very least just select it in MacOS without needing to interact with the bluetooth speaker itself.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
yes you can select it as an audio destination the same as any other. I don't know that it would automatically switch back each morning but it would be a quick couple clicks to tell Music or your Mac to send the sound there.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
yes you can select it as an audio destination the same as any other. I don't know that it would automatically switch back each morning but it would be a quick couple clicks to tell Music or your Mac to send the sound there.
I don't exactly care if I have to connect from my Mac, would just rather not have to physically do anything on the speaker itself. So it would be auto detectable and show up like an airplay device?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
The HomePod mini isn't a bluetooth speaker, so you wouldn't be able to use it with other non-Apple devices. That may not be a problem for you though. It's more of an AirPlay speaker. You'll have to set the Music app to AirPlay to the speaker every time you open the app.

Also, is this office in your home or at a business? The HomePod will need to be able to connect to a wifi network, which might be trickier in a corporate setting. Supposedly it can be used offline after you do the initial set up, but then anyone with an Apple device can see and connect to it (which I guess is no different if it's connected to a corporate network).

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
The HomePod mini isn't a bluetooth speaker, so you wouldn't be able to use it with other non-Apple devices. That may not be a problem for you though. It's more of an AirPlay speaker. You'll have to set the Music app to AirPlay to the speaker every time you open the app.

Also, is this office in your home or at a business? The HomePod will need to be able to connect to a wifi network, which might be trickier in a corporate setting. Supposedly it can be used offline after you do the initial set up, but then anyone with an Apple device can see and connect to it (which I guess is no different if it's connected to a corporate network).
Good question regarding the wifi. This would be in my office and don't think IT would be thrilled about adding a HomePod onto the network. Was thinking it worked more like bluetooth for some reason. Don't think this is going to be an option for me, might just have to stick with the Bluetooth speaker I am using now. It is thankfully easy on the eyes, just wish I could connect to it without having to touch the unit itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.