Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anjumnaqvi94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2014
Hello,

I am a novice developer working on my first app. Very early in the development stage I realized how in over my head I was so I contracted with a freelancer to help me with the more difficult elements. I broke up my project into several phases so I could control the quality of my app and learn along the way. After working with the freelancer for the past 2-3 months on the initially 2-week phase 1, I have come to the conclusion that he knows very little about the process and is most likely outsourcing my project to someone else. I wouldn't have an issue with that if he would stop disappearing on me and give me direct answers. I've already paid in full for phase 1 and once that is submitted will have to pay in full for phase 2 before those features are designed.

On to my question: I want to go in a different direction for the remaining work on my app. My only concern is he may sabotage my app if he discovers I no longer want his services for phase 2.

The app is being developed for both android and iOS. When he sends me the build I get a .apk file for Android and a install.diawi link for iOS download. Currently the data is stored on his servers.

I have already asked him to send me the data to my Digital Ocean server at the end of phase 1. Is there anything else I need to do to limit my exposure to him, just in case? Thanks in advance.

Anjum

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
Do you know what language this is written in and what 3rd party tools (if any) are used?

Your contract should state what the app is to be developed in and who controls the source code.

In the US, if you pay someone to write source code, you usually have the copyright to that. Things might have changed over the years, and the contract might override that.

You could very well have two sets of source code (iOS/Android).

One thing you could do is to setup Xcode on your computer and ask for the project file (including all source) then run the app on your computer to see if it works as expected. That should tell you if you have the source code.

The other option is to hire someone new and ask them how much it would take to redo what's already been done. Then you'll know how much value the source has.

Keep in mind that many programmers don't like working with others code unless they see it before hand. The code could be poorly written and might be best to start over (depending on the quality of the code and the value of it). It might take more time to learn the code than it would to re-write it from ground zero.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.