Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I wish to give internet access to a neighbor. But I don’t won’t to give him the router’s pass (cause then, I will have no control on how he will be using it).
Can I have control on such settings though software?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
This is a router that is given for free by the provider and does not have this feature!

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Yes I’m aware of that thanks.
So there is no software that can help me on my matter?

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Yes I’m aware of that thanks.
So there is no software that can help me on my matter?

No. But almost all ISP routers have a guest network hidden in the advanced menu.

You can have several wireless networks on the same connection. Get him to buy his own wireless router, connect it to your ISP's router via wire, and he can have is own wireless network on your connection. You can have your own network, with your password, and his can be on its own, and if you ever need to, all you have to disconnect the network cable to his router and he is disconnected.

Reactions: I7guy

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
To which port of the existing router must I connect the new router to, and what kind of settings must be applied?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
To which port of the existing router must I connect the new router to, and what kind of settings must be applied?
Let's be honest OP, you sound like you don't have a lot of experience so I wouldn't even bother with what @JT2002TJ is suggesting. If you trust someone enough to share the internet then just give them the wifi password. You would have control of how they 'use the internet' in the actual router settings but, as I stated, you sound very inexperienced so you don't have many choices.

Reactions: eyoungren

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013

New wireless router that your neighbor buys, the "internet" Cat 5/6 network port, goes to any open wired output on your ISP's router. This will give his router internet access, and it already has it's own wireless network.

But as @Sheepish-Lord said, you need to adjust some settings. On the new wireless router that he buys (go into that routers menu), you need to make sure that dhcp is turned off (this is what assigns IP address to devices that connect to that new router, this is what a "router" is, the assigning of IP addresses, there can only be one). Then you want to give it an acceptable name and password.

In the end you also need to make sure that the wireless frequencies do not conflict, otherwise you could lose range between both your ISPs wireless network and the new one he buys.

@Sheepish-Lord might be right... Just give him the wireless SSID and password, just make sure your wireless password is different than the ISP's router password.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
New wireless router that your neighbor buys, the "internet" Cat 5/6 network port, goes to any open wired output on your ISP's router. This will give his router internet access, and it already has it's own wireless network.

But as @Sheepish-Lord said, you need to adjust some settings. On the new wireless router that he buys (go into that routers menu), you need to make sure that dhcp is turned off (this is what assigns IP address to devices that connect to that new router, this is what a "router" is, the assigning of IP addresses, there can only be one). Then you want to give it an acceptable name and password.

In the end you also need to make sure that the wireless frequencies do not conflict, otherwise you could lose range between both your ISPs wireless network and the new one he buys.

@Sheepish-Lord might be right... Just give him the wireless SSID and password, just make sure your wireless password is different than the ISP's router password.
OP wants control through software…

That alone should tell you lots of things. @Sheepish-Lord is correct.

Reactions: max2 and JT2002TJ

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Maybe I should just change the wifi pass, give it to him and when he buys his own connection I’ll change it back again to my own personal pass!

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I wish to give internet access to a neighbor. But I don’t won’t to give him the router’s pass (cause then, I will have no control on how he will be using it).
Can I have control on such settings though software?
Can your neighbor see the network? Don’t give him the router’s password, just the network password. Just know that often, the default router user name is “admin” and password is “password”. So you might want to change those.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Can your neighbor see the network? Don’t give him the router’s password, just the network password. Just know that often, the default router user name is “admin” and password is “password”. So you might want to change those.
By network password you are referring to the wifi pass?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.