Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I just got the iPad Pro and I am really happy with it. I also have an iMac upstairs. Is it possible to control/take over the iMac with the iPad and maybe use it with the Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse and do some light work using the programs from my iMac - on the iPad screen? Don't know if something like this is possible with a VPN/VCN app or a screen sharing app?

Just some wild idea... :)

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I just got the iPad Pro and I am really happy with it. I also have an iMac upstairs. Is it possible to control/take over the iMac with the iPad and maybe use it with the Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse and do some light work using the programs from my iMac - on the iPad screen? Don't know if something like this is possible with a VPN/VCN app or a screen sharing app?

I use Splashtop:http://www.splashtop.com/personal

jacktorrance

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009

Not a wild idea at all, it's been possible for a while - I use LogMeIn for a fee or, when that's undergoing maintenance, TeamViewer - both have apps for the iPad which allow me to use my Mac, or any other computer for that matter.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I use Screens to control my iMac and Mac mini server from the iPad Pro. Works fine.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Are any of the above optimized for the iPP? I use iTeleport, though it's not updated to support the higher resolution of the iPP.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
So in theory I could use my Wireless Keyboard and my Magic Mouse together with my iPad Pro downstairs controlling the iMac?

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Also when using the iPad with apps like Air Display or other screen sharing apps?

The mouse will have to be connected to the Mac, and not to the iPad. So if you're far enough away from the Mac, the mouse won't work at all.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I use Screens to control my iMac and Mac mini server from the iPad Pro. Works fine.

Screens ALL the way. Less intrusive app than TeamViewer (essentially invisible), full iOS 9 support, multitasking, iPad Pro native. Just a really excellent app. And it's on sale for half price till tomorrow. Glad I picked it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.