Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I had a old Imac 400 mhz running under 9.2 and 10.2. I would work in appleworks first 5.0 and 6.0.
My appleworks 6 always open any documents written in the previous versions.

Recently I purchased a new ibookG4 running under 10.3. I hired an apple consultant to move all my data and e-mails over to my new notebook. But now I find that I can see the documents but can not open any of them. Someone said there is no suffix of .cwk .

As I have all my past medical history and I have complicating medical issues, its urgent that I find a way to get access to my documents. Any help anyone can suggest would be greatly appreciated. What I see is an image of a page icon with a turned down right hand corner and the name of my individual document. My entire medical and financial history of 5 years is here.

I don't even know where to begin.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
KingJr3's solution is the best.

The core text (not formatting or special tables) should be able to be read by TextEdit. Control-click on the .cwf and then select open-with, and then select TextEdit from Applications.

ToFu will also read it with all that gobely-gook that is actually important.

If you can find somebody with iWork, it might be able to decode the files in entirety, then save them to one of the following formats.

In the future, if it's mission critical, save it in TXT (no formatting), RTF (fairly universal), or editable PDF format. .DOC is a M$ format, but sometimes newer versions of the format won't work in older software.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Eniregnat said:
KingJr3's solution is the best.

The core text (not formatting or special tables) should be able to be read by TextEdit. Control-click on the .cwf and then select open-with, and then select TextEdit from Applications.

ToFu will also read it with all that gobely-gook that is actually important.

If you can find somebody with iWork, it might be able to decode the files in entirety, then save them to one of the following formats.

In the future, if it's mission critical, save it in TXT (no formatting), RTF (fairly universal), or editable PDF format. .DOC is a M$ format, but sometimes newer versions of the format won't work in older software.

Thanks so much to both of you! I used Claris Works and TexEdit.

I really appreciate it! Have a good weekend!

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Best of health to you!

Resave your documents in another format and burn them to CD.

I heard that Jesus will always beat the Devil, because Jesus saves.:)

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Eniregnat said:
I heard that Jesus will always beat the Devil, because Jesus saves.:)

That makes me think of Apple beating Microshit!

Best of luck to you too!

Frisco

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.