Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Is there an iPad app that will allow me to take notes with handwriting and then convert to text? I know that OneNote and many others support the former but how about the latter? I know that OneNote for Windows can do this. If I import notes taken with the iOS version into the Windows version can I do this?

My main application is for work so I would likely import to Windows anyway. If this will allow text conversion that may be the best way to go.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
GoodNotes has a text conversion utility, but I haven't played with it enough to say how accurate it is. You select the portion of text you've already handwritten, then invoke the "Convert" function. (I like that you don't have to specify beforehand what you want to convert.) The converted text is placed on a clipboard that you can paste into a text box, or e-mail, etc.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
GoodNotes has a text conversion utility, but I haven't played with it enough to say how accurate it is. You select the portion of text you've already handwritten, then invoke the "Convert" function. (I like that you don't have to specify beforehand what you want to convert.) The converted text is placed on a clipboard that you can paste into a text box, or e-mail, etc.

GoodNotes is my everyday top favorite app, but I didn't mention it because the workflow to convert to text is somewhat cumbersome. Although, you're right: being able to specify beforehand can be interesting.
That said, the text conversion in GoodNotes is excellent, so is the Search BTW.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Notes Plus is a good candidate IMHO
I bought Notes Plus and am trying it now. Is there a simple way to select the entire page (select all)? The method of drawing a lasso seems to only work sometimes, or it works but the clickable selection markers seem to disappear very quickly. Also do you have any suggestions for how to improve handwriting recognition? Sometimes it works surprisingly well and at other times not so well.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I bought Notes Plus and am trying it now. Is there a simple way to select the entire page (select all)? The method of drawing a lasso seems to only work sometimes, or it works but the clickable selection markers seem to disappear very quickly. Also do you have any suggestions for how to improve handwriting recognition? Sometimes it works surprisingly well and at other times not so well.

In continuous vertical scrolling (like in Notes Plus), it's hard to define an entire page. Perhaps there's a way to disable it, but still I don't know a Select All.
There is, however, a selection tool as an alternative for the lasso drawing.

About the recognition, it's my experience that you have to pay attention to connect the strokes that make up for a letter. As an example, the letter K could be a vertical stroke followed by a 90° rotated V. If these two aren't touching eachother, the recognition might interprete it wrongfully.

ct1211

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Michigan
Is there an iPad app that will allow me to take notes with handwriting and then convert to text? I know that OneNote and many others support the former but how about the latter? I know that OneNote for Windows can do this. If I import notes taken with the iOS version into the Windows version can I do this?

My main application is for work so I would likely import to Windows anyway. If this will allow text conversion that may be the best way to go.

If your serous about note taking let me save you some trouble. I have paid for just about every app out there and used all of the active (and non active) pens made for the iPad. All basically do not work. Best I can tell you. They will work as expected (or desired) about half of the time. Palm rejection is hit and miss and the interfaces are usually clunky. one app will have you writing than trying to "lasso" what you wrote and tap, tap tap to conversion. Others have you write along the bottom in a box (the one that does this has not been updated since 2011) I think it is called Pendulate or something like that. Why is this? The iPad is not designed for digital pen interaction it wants to see your fat fingers! The Wacom "active" pens try to circumvent problems like palm rejection, adding pressure sensitivity through Bluetooth connected programs. If this is something you're committed to trying for say work meetings etc you need to look to either a Surface device or a Samsung Note series tablet designed for (and supplied with) the proper pen. I believe it is extra for a Surface, I don't know.

IMHO I feel that Apple will release a tablet later this year we all know about already called the "Pro" series that will more than likely have an Apple pen (iPen?) as I'm sure they have seen the Wacom's and other $59-$100++ pens come to market and all perform badly - There is some money being left on the table at Apple they will adapt soon! The good news is the "Pro" tablet will be large 12"-12.9" very thin and light with the large screen giving you a nice working surface to write on - The bad news is it will be very expensive even before you buy what is sure NOT to be an integrated pen like Samsung's Note series as it will be its own profit center. Anyone want to take a stab at a price point for the "Gold" iPen?

Lastly, someone more than likely reply to this with a "My (insert app here") works perfectly with "insert pen here" or claim the cheap nub stylus is all you need. Great YMMV, Make sure you can return what you try! (Best Buy is a good source for pens)

Last edited:

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
If your serous about note taking let me save you some trouble. I have paid for just about every app out there and used all of the active (an non active) pens made for the iPad. All basically do not work. Best I can tell you. They will work as expected (or desired) about half of the time. Palm rejection is hit and miss and the interfaces are usually clunky. Why is this? The iPad is not designed for digital pens. If this is something you're committed to you need to look to either a Surface device or a Samsung Note series tablet designed for (and supplied with) the proper pen. I believe it is extra for a Surface, I don't know.

IMHO I feel that Apple will release a tablet later this year and call it a "Pro" series that will more than likely have an Apple pen (iPen?) as I'm sure they have seen the Wacom's and other $59-$100++ pens come to market and all perform badly - There is some money being left on the table at Apple they will adapt soon! Anyone want to take a stab at a price point for the "Gold" iPen?

Lastly, someone more than likely reply to this with a "My (insert app here" works perfectly with "insert pen here" or claim the cheap nub stylus is all you need. Make sure you can return what you try! (Best Buy is a good source for pens)
I think you are right for the most part. I am currently trying out several iPad apps with just the nub stylus (Wacom Bamboo) right now, and also a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 Edition and its included S-Pen. I have OneNote installed on both and various others. So far I like Notes Plus best on the iPad but it is limited by the large nub, and there of course is no palm rejection. The Note is a completely different animal though with the included pen and S-Note, and even OneNote gets handwriting to text conversion! I just don't like Android on tablets in general but I may get used to it. The Surface may be the best but I have yet to try it; I may preorder it and give it a try.

I just like the small and light form factor of my iPad mini 2 and wish it could do a good job but I guess it is not to be. ��

ct1211

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Michigan
I think you are right for the most part. I am currently trying out several iPad apps with just the nub stylus (Wacom Bamboo) right now, and also a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 Edition and its included S-Pen. I have OneNote installed on both and various others. So far I like Notes Plus best on the iPad but it is limited by the large nub, and there of course is no palm rejection. The Note is a completely different animal though with the included pen and S-Note, and even OneNote gets handwriting to text conversion! I just don't like Android on tablets in general but I may get used to it. The Surface may be the best but I have yet to try it; I may preorder it and give it a try.

I just like the small and light form factor of my iPad mini 2 and wish it could do a good job but I guess it is not to be. ��

You are following my actions to a tee! Actually I am about to go to a convention in vegas where I will have to take notes as clients come through and you have sparked my idea to try another Samsung for this event. Now, I owned the 10.1 2014 edition for over a year (sold it a few months ago) I found the tablet hard to hold and write on down in the window area. That said I spent about 20 minutes with the Samsung Pro Note recently and did my best to get it to screw up, it was flawless. They have come down in price, you may want to try that one. BTW I have noticed Samsung never updated the 10.1 2014 (been out since mid 2013) I also tried a Note 8 in 2012, I think the 12" may be the only size they support moving forward, just a guess. As far as Android, I moved to Android after the 3GS and I had a Note 3 for a year, again rarely used the pen due to its relatively small screen - Now I use a MOTO X 2014 - Ironically its "always listening" and custom command to open has taken me to a point where i rarely need to type! I just talk what ever I need to do into my phone - very little typing! That thing is amazing, even in noisy environments!

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012

Actually, Notes Plus does have a palm rejection. It was tested first on the light version (Inkredible), next implemented in Notes Plus. It actually works well, but you need to activate it.
When OFF, you'll notice a slider at the bottom left of the screen: drag it upwards to have a physical palm rest.
When ON, this slider will disappear and you can rest your palm on the screen. Of course, with Multitasking gestures disabled.

As for the stylus, you'll either get used to the large nub - or you'll need to get a smart stylus. I'm using the Lynktect Apex Rechargeable, and got used to it after about 3 weeks of use.

Attachments

• NotesPlus.PNG
    NotesPlus.PNG
    44.5 KB · Views: 497

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Actually, Notes Plus does have a palm rejection. It was tested first on the light version (Inkredible), next implemented in Notes Plus. It actually works well, but you need to activate it.
When OFF, you'll notice a slider at the bottom left of the screen: drag it upwards to have a physical palm rest.
When ON, this slider will disappear and you can rest your palm on the screen. Of course, with Multitasking gestures disabled.

As for the stylus, you'll either get used to the large nub - or you'll need to get a smart stylus. I'm using the Lynktect Apex Rechargeable, and got used to it after about 3 weeks of use.
True it does have Palm rejection but it does not seem to work very well when using a nub stylus. I have not tried an active stylus yet.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
True it does have Palm rejection but it does not seem to work very well when using a nub stylus. I have not tried an active stylus yet.

I have tried the Surface 3 and it is a great piece of hardware. But I agree with the above poster. GoodNotes with an Adonit stylus is better on my iPad Air 2. I like the simplicity of GoodNotes and the iPad Air 2 over the Surface. But I take mainly Math/Science notes so it is a great combination.

I had low expectations before actually trying the above combination, due to my experience with digitizers. I am continually impressed and use it daily.

ct1211

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Michigan
I have tried the Surface 3 and it is a great piece of hardware. But I agree with the above poster. GoodNotes with an Adonit stylus is better on my iPad Air 2. I like the simplicity of GoodNotes and the iPad Air 2 over the Surface. But I take mainly Math/Science notes so it is a great combination.

I had low expectations before actually trying the above combination, due to my experience with digitizers. I am continually impressed and use it daily.

Glad you figured it out, I found that combo a buggy, frustrating mess. I don't think anyone should recommend these options to Apple newbies. The dedicated pens are very expensive and only work with a select few apps. There are going to be much better options with iPad pro and the new Surface 3 at $499 which will have full Windows 8 (then 10) full Stylus support, GPS all for the price of a bare bones iPad.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
Glad you figured it out, I found that combo a buggy, frustrating mess. I don't think anyone should recommend these options to Apple newbies. The dedicated pens are very expensive and only work with a select few apps. There are going to be much better options with iPad pro and the new Surface 3 at $499 which will have full Windows 8 (then 10) full Stylus support, GPS all for the price of a bare bones iPad.

I agree with you. Although, the combination works for me it may not work for everyone. I think you are correct, in the coming months we are going to have a great selection on tablets with excellent stylus combinations. Much better in terms of integration with the OS and with selection of software for its general usage as paper replacement.

ct1211

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Michigan
I agree with you. Although, the combination works for me it may not work for everyone. I think you are correct, in the coming months we are going to have a great selection on tablets with excellent stylus combinations. Much better in terms of integration with the OS and with selection of software for its general usage as paper replacement.

Thanks, I offered my advice as someone that spent serious money on Stylus (active and otherwise) to no avail...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.