Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I've took quite a lot of RAW photos on my iPhone 12 Pro Max, and I was wondering if there is a quick and easy way to convert them back to the none RAW format on the iPhone.

Thanks.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
you can use the Save to Files-command from the Share-menu. It will automatically save indivual or all selected Photos as JPEG.

Reactions: Fatboy71

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
UK
you can use the Save to Files-command from the Share-menu. It will automatically save indivual or all selected Photos as JPEG.

Thanks for the help.

I tried what you mentioned, but when I look at the photo that I "Saved To Files" it still has the RAW text on it. This is also confirmed when I access the photo from iCloud Drive on my Mac as the photo is still in the DNG format that RAW photos are saved in.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Thanks for the help.

I tried what you mentioned, but when I look at the photo that I "Saved To Files" it still has the RAW text on it. This is also confirmed when I access the photo from iCloud Drive on my Mac as the photo is still in the DNG format that RAW photos are saved in.
I just checked on iPadOS 14.5.1: opened a RAW in Apples Photos.
Saved to Files inside a local folder on the iPad and get a JPEG. Always.

The RAW is still in my Photos library at this point of course. And - depending preferences - this is synced to iCloud. At this point the new JPG is NOT in the photos library.

So after saving your Photo to let’s say the local Downloads folder on your iPhone, you have to delete the RAW. Then you open Apples Files app, change to Downloads, select the JPEG and use the Save Image from Share. This will add the JPG to the Photos library and this will sync to iCloud (if defined).

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Thanks again for the help.
I've tried to follow your instructions, but I'm still seeing the same as I mentioned in post 3.

Reactions: SesttleTch

SesttleTch

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2022
IPhone 13 with iOS 15.6. I can confirm that saving a raw picture to Files does not in fact convert it to JPEG.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.