Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2007
I selected the AppleTV preset in Handbrake and upped the bit rate to 3000 kbps, the supposed max the AppleTV can play. Now, looking at the info on the files in iTunes, it seems the total bit rate of the files is 3607 kpbs. Did something go wrong? Will these files work still or are they garbage?

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
The files should play fine. I've played movies on my :apple:TV with higher average bit rates.

Regards,
Michael

omni

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I selected the AppleTV preset in Handbrake and upped the bit rate to 3000 kbps, the supposed max the AppleTV can play. Now, looking at the info on the files in iTunes, it seems the total bit rate of the files is 3607 kpbs. Did something go wrong? Will these files work still or are they garbage?

3000 is for video. 607 is probably the audio. They should play fine.

Honestly though - you converted 20 without checking at least one?

Not only that but you really should have tried checking 2500 (the appleTV preset in Handbrake versus 3000 with the same movie - just encode 1 chapter to test) before diving head in.

In the long run I think you will find you 3000 is kind of a waste.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2007
3000 is for video. 607 is probably the audio. They should play fine.

Honestly though - you converted 20 without checking at least one?

Not only that but you really should have tried checking 2500 (the appleTV preset in Handbrake versus 3000 with the same movie - just encode 1 chapter to test) before diving head in.

In the long run I think you will find you 3000 is kind of a waste.

I had run into some Macro Blocking with 2000 kbps samples I did and I am only doing this once, so I jumped to the max stated supported resolution.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007

Why don't you just try it?

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
No AppleTV! I haven't placed the order yet.

Encoding video is not an exact science. There are a lot of variables to consider, bitrates only being one of them. There's also your TV, your source material, and what are your expectations of the finished material.

There is going to be a lot of trial-and-error before you get the look you really like. I wouldn't do too many encodes without being able to test them.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2007
Encoding video is not an exact science. There are a lot of variables to consider, bitrates only being one of them. There's also your TV, your source material, and what are your expectations of the finished material.

There is going to be a lot of trial-and-error before you get the look you really like. I wouldn't do too many encodes without being able to test them.

Like I mentioned, I had done some encoding at 2000 kbps and been displeased with the macro blocking I saw on dark areas. Space is absolutely not an issue, so I opted for the highest bit rate Apple claimed would work.

My confusion arose when iTunes told me the bi rate was 3607kbps, not the 3000kbps I had originally selected. That seems to have been cleared up now.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Like I mentioned, I had done some encoding at 2000 kbps and been displeased with the macro blocking I saw on dark areas. Space is absolutely not an issue, so I opted for the highest bit rate Apple claimed would work.
Um, if your doing all of this without even looking at it, and only want to do it once, you might just want to try using one of the HB snapshots released since the official 0.9.2 build (which I presume you are using), since the snapshots have vaq in x264 which basically eliminates the macroblocking you see even in lower bitrate encodes. For instance, using a hb snapshot with vaq a 2000 kbps video track will have *less* macroblocking than a 3000 kbps video track done with 0.9.2.

Having said that realize that the snapshots are not officially supported (though I submit that they are more stable the the 0.9.2 official release).

Oh, and there is no future proofing in video encoding, its an addiction ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.