Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Afro1989

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Okay, I'm not too sure I put this question in the right section, but here it goes.

I converted all my old and rare VHS live music concerts onto DVD so they do not deteriorate.

I am wondering if there is a way to take the audio only from the DVDs and put them on a CD so that I can put it on my Mac and then add it to my iTunes library.

Is there any way to take the audio only from the DVDs that I made and put them on a CD or straight to my iTunes?

Thanks so much! I am in some serious need of help.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
there's one solution here.

I have done it myself, once, but i'm struggling to remember the middle step.
1. Use Mac the Ripper or similar to extract the DVD audio out as an ac3 file
2. Use something??? to convert the ac3 into an AIFF audio file
3. use Spin Doctor, Audacity etc to trim the AIFF into separate tracks.
4. use iTunes to convert to mp3/AAC (if you want)

Greenjeens

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2005
California
I did this same procedure... just trying to remember the steps. Got the audio on my itunes from Laserdiscs and DVDs.

First rip the tracks using Mac the Ripper (version 3.0 r12) Might cost a $30 "donation" for the supped up version.
This version is perfect for capturing individual audio tracks. I used it for already purchased DVDs to get the audio tracks to play in iTunes.
uncheck the video just capture the individual audio titles/tracks in MODES.

Open the "demux" function and uncheck the video and then select which audio outputs you want and which are available.
PCM 2 channel
AC3
DTS

Then use the
AIFF From PCM converter app
http://www.verek.com/

if the ripped tracks are only in ac3/surround format then use this converter app. Other decoder modes too. Think I had some noise problems with this conversion.
mAC3dec
http://mac3dec.sourceforge.net

Analog track cutting and editing (hard to figure out) for analog tracks. I used this to delineate a single track from live performances and edit out applause on old Laser discs.
CD SPIN DOCTOR
Included in Toast 7 Titaneum extras

Then just import the finished tracks into iTunes and possibly convert to Apple Lossles or your format of choice(within iTunes), to save space, since AIFF tracks take up lots of space. You'll have to figure out the exact step order, but this is the basic tools you will need.

-
Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.