Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GailFL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2018
Apopka, FL
I just made an iMovie on Mac, but would like to play on a PC. Is there anyway to convert MP4 videos to MPEG4 or AVI through QuickTime or do I need a converter? If so, recommendations. Thanks.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
VLC should be able to play it on PC without any conversion.

Depending on the windows version you have, the default media player might be able to also.

Reactions: mikzn

GailFL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2018
Apopka, FL
VLC should be able to play it on PC without any conversion.

Depending on the windows version you have, the default media player might be able to also.
I will need to play on the Church's laptop. I have been advised to make sure I movie is in MPEG4 or AVI, but not sure how to do that with a Mac 10.13.4 High Sierra?

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
MP4 and AVI are just containers. Have you tried to play the video on the church's computer and failed or are you just assuming it won't work? Most MP4's will or should play.

GailFL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2018
Apopka, FL
MP4 and AVI are just containers. Have you tried to play the video on the church's computer and failed or are you just assuming it won't work? Most MP4's will or should play.
I was told that it needed to be in a MPEG or AVI format. (I don't know what kind of program the laptop have on it.)

I have decided to play through my iPad. I will take the mp4 copy I made and try, but not hopeful as now it won't even play in our BluRay or DVD players. I have made many videos in the past - it seems to have something to do with the newer iMovie. I wonder if High Sierra has any thing to do with it. Apple is no help - says I have to get a 3rd party converter. Have tried Handbrake-turns it into a .mkv - still doesn't work. So I guess Apple doesn't want us to make DVD movies anymore. Some still use DVD's.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Get yourself a free copy of FFWORKS & install the ffmpeg binary (pre-compiled). Just google the ffworks name for their homepage and read... It's a video conversion tool. You can then convert your video into mpeg if needed.

I've done a lot of video but it's been many years and my memory isn't so good (Alzheimers) but you can get all the help and explanation you need at VideoHelp.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.