Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
I've had a 2018 iPad Pro 11" for a few years now and loved it. I'm a heavy Mac user but the iPad has its place for me, despite all the shortcomings of iPadOS.

I use it mainly as my "meeting computer", keeping my M1 MBP docked on my desk while I go back and forth to meetings throughout the day, taking notes and so forth. It's also a great device for casual computing: editing photos, reading books, light web surfing, watching content, etc. It's hard to describe but it just has its place in my computing life.

I sprung for a 2021 iPad Pro 11" on release day, not sure if I'd want to keep it, but wanted to give myself the option to decide.

The question for me is, given that this is an expensive device that is not my primary computer, am I justified in keeping it? Is my 2018 iPad Pro "good enough"? Do I really need an M1-powered iPad Pro?

Bear in mind that my 2018 and now 2021 iPads are Wi-Fi only (I can easily hotspot), so the cellular use-case is not something to consider in this decision. Also keep in mind that my 2018 and now 2021 iPads have 256GB of storage. All told, they are expensive devices for what they do for me, but also definitely not the most heavily-spec'd iPads you can buy that really break the bank.

Last edited:

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
Since you have a 2018 and with your usage I don't see a reason to have the 2021. Wait for a bigger upgrade. I went from the iPad 7th gen to the new 11 and don't notice much difference in my usage.

Reactions: Moyapilot

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Dec 6, 2009
I think 99% of people could live without an iPad in general and M1 is currently way overkill for most use cases. Unless an iPad is your primary device for doing time-sensitive photo and video work, there’s zero chance you need a new one.

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Surely you can find something better to spend your money on? I went from 1st gen 2015 12.9" to 2021 12.9" and that's a huge upgrade, but frankly, had it not been for the extremely annoying white hotspot on the display, I could have survived another year despite 4GB RAM being kinda meh in 2021. You should be able to get another year out of it which will allow you to skip the M1 early adopter period and go straight to a more mature product.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

Mr Retina

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2013
I went from an 11inch 2018 Pro to a 12.9inch 2021 pro which I consider to be big upgrade and that’s the only reason I upgraded. I wouldn’t have went from the 2018 11in Pro to the 2021 11in Pro. I’d return it and wait for WWDC and see what IPadOS 15 brings with M1 iPads in the wild.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
That decision is really up to you. List the pros and cons.

I have a laptop computer and a full desk set up with dual monitors, printer, etc. However, now that I’m retired, I primarily always reach for my iPhone and iPad. With my iPad being on the original unlimited cellular plan, it’s very handy for traveling.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I've had a 2018 iPad Pro for a few years now and loved it. I'm a heavy Mac user but the iPad has its place for me, despite all the shortcomings of iPadOS.

I use it mainly as my "meeting computer", keeping my M1 MBP docked on my desk while I go back and forth to meetings throughout the day, taking notes and so forth. It's also a great device for casual computing: editing photos, reading books, light web surfing, watching content, etc. It's hard to describe but it just has its place in my computing life.

I sprung for a 2021 iPad Pro on release day, not sure if I'd want to keep it, but wanted to give myself the option to decide.

The question for me is, given that this is an expensive device that is not my primary computer, am I justified in keeping it? Is my 2018 iPad Pro "good enough"? Do I really need an M1-powered iPad Pro?

Bear in mind that my 2018 and now 2021 iPads are Wi-Fi only (I can easily hotspot), so the cellular use-case is not something to consider in this decision. Also keep in mind that my 2018 and now 2021 iPads have 256GB of storage. All told, they are expensive devices for what they do for me, but also definitely not the most heavily-spec'd iPads you can buy that really break the bank.
You did not mention whether your 2018 and 2021 iPad Pros are the 11 or the 12.9-inch models.

From your description, I assume your 2018 iPad Pro is the one released on November 7, 2018. If this is the case, it is already the redesigned model with an 11/12.9-inch display, and ProMotion. It is powered by an Apple A12X Bionic processor with 4 GB RAM and 256 GB storage.

The new iPad Pro has an M1 processor and 8 GB RAM in the 256 GB variant. The 11-inch model has basically the same screen, while the 12.9-inch model has a mini-LED screen.

The M1 is a more powerful processor. The differences in performance according to Geekbench are below:

Single-core performance:

11-inch iPad Pro (A12X): 1118
12.9-inch iPad Pro (A12X): 1155
12.9-inch iPad Pro (M1): 1718

Multi-core performance:

11-inch iPad Pro (A12X): 4802
12.9-inch iPad Pro (A12X): 4612
12.9-inch iPad Pro (M1): 7284

Metal (graphics):

11-inch iPad Pro (A12X): 11014
12.9-inch iPad Pro (A12X): 11799
12.9-inch iPad Pro (M1): 20578

So, yes, the M1 iPad Pro is faster than the A12X model. It is about 48% faster in single-core performance, 58% faster in multi-core performance, and 74% in graphics performance.

These may be impressive numbers, but it does not mean you need one. Your 2018 iPad Pro is already a powerful device, faster than most laptops.

According to Geekbench, for instance (https://browser.geekbench.com/macs/macbook-pro-13-inch-late-2020), your 2018 iPad Pro is already faster than all Intel 13-inch MacBook Pros in both single-core and multi-core performance and has a better single-core performance than any Intel MacBook Pro (13, 15 and 16-inches included).

So, for your needs, it does not seem you need an M1 iPad Pro, as the current one already provides enough power for the time being. An M1 iPad Pro is overkill. Perhaps you should save some money and wait for a redesign before thinking of buying a new one. Or buy something else.

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
People who don’t know what the want must cost apple and its CUSTOMERS a fortune with people buying then returning an item.

Keep it you bought it…………………

• Sad
Reactions: MARTINKERN

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
... before ordering an unnecessary item & wasting everyone's time & resources for a short-lived dopamine hit.
I just thought that sharing my question would result in a fruitful discussion for people wondering the same thing. Many (including myself, I will admit) are susceptible to getting swept away by Apple's hype machine, and spending money we don't have to. The MacRumors community is always there to provide a coherence-check for people like myself and countless others. So far the answers are very helpful and I thank everyone for chiming in.

FattiesGoneWild

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2019
I say keep the 2021. You do you. I have a 2020 11” 128gb model myself. I definitely want M1 with newer MJK white version. Best Buy has the model I have for $649 on sale right now. I paid $749 new at the time back last August. Apple is giving $580 on the trade in. Sounds good to me.

Reactions: yaboid01 and Wags

leperry

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2020
If you really can’t find a good use for a new iPad, you probably don’t need it. Older iPads still work for a long time. It all depends on what you use your iPad for and if the extra power is worth it or not. I upgraded because I wanted a full-sized art tablet With enough power to last me several years. I don’t see myself upgrading this iPad for a long time. I think that’s the best way for me to make technology purchases. Buy the latest of what I need NOW and use it until it wears out. I think your 2018 still has a lot of life left.

Devin Breeding

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2020
Conway SC
I've had a 2018 iPad Pro 11" for a few years now and loved it. I'm a heavy Mac user but the iPad has its place for me, despite all the shortcomings of iPadOS.

I sprung for a 2021 iPad Pro 11" on release day, not sure if I'd want to keep it, but wanted to give myself the option to decide.

They are both powerful enough and the optimizations are so good most people would never be able use either to its full potential. However, you won’t be able to get all your money back in a sale. Do you need either of them? No but if you had the finances to spring for a brand new one on opening day it is a luxury you can afford and that is ok. Personally at this point I’d sell your 2018 or gift it to a family member.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
If you need people to help you justify splitting with $800+ (minimum) then maybe it wasn’t such a good idea.

I had a similar dilemma last November with an iPad Pro. The $1200 iPad Pro did nothing better than my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 (512GB) that I paid $600 back in late 2018. No professional apple apps, iMove still can’t expert a project in the background on a $1200 iPad Pro. Files app chokes when copying large files or folders. Pathetic!

Besides Face ID being more reliable since I don’t wear a mask at home (iPad generally doesn’t leave home) compared to Touch ID

Retuned the iPad Pro 11” and am sticking with the 10.5. Unless this new M1 based iPad gets a MAJOR software upgrade becoming more capable and more reliable (need a reliable first party files app here) it will always be a consumption device for me. It’s too limited and useless for the price, especially if I need to do typing, I’m not going to spend $300-$350 EXTRA on a keyboard when a MacBook has one built in.

dazcox5181

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Essex, UK
Keep your 2018.

I returned my 2021 11” and am happy with my 2020 Air since the performance and speed in Procreate on the 2021 wasn’t improved.

I am sure plenty of folks will see huge performance gains etc. with the M1, but if it’s not something you need why spend that money?
Don't know if you are aware, but ProCreate dev says they need to patch for the M1, as currently iPad OS is limiting the ram / doesn't identify the device right. Once they patch we should see the improvements...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.