Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
I received an sms text message on my iPhone the other day while I was using my iPad. I was thinking what about an sms test message relay feature on the iPhone that resends the text as an iMessage to be read on other devices?

I suggested it in Apple feature requests.

Would others find this useful?

:)

Last edited:

joshforman

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2012
I suppose what Apple could do is is making make messaging sync part of iCloud so that all messages get synced just like any other app.

But for now I know VZW has a service that lets you register to let you send/get your SMS messages on the web and tablets

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
I received an sms text message on my iPhone the other day while I was using my iPad. I was thinking what about an sms test message relay feature on the iPhone that resends the text as an iMessage to be read on other devices?

Only problem is that you couldn't reply from the iPad, so it would be somewhat awkward.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011

I've felt this way many a' time. I really don't feel like it'd be that difficult to implement.

The more difficult part could be the opposite occurrence - you receive the relayed SMS from your iPhone to your iPad, but how does the system handle replying from the iPad? Does it iMessage it back to your phone, which then autosends it as an SMS to the intended recipient? Definitely some type of workaround would have to be implemented there, but probably doable.

Nevertheless, I would love this, and not just for my iPad, but from Messages on my Mac as well!

EDIT: Whoops, sort of just restated what you said prior to my comment. Heh.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
I'm never away from my phone, so I don't really see the benefit of an SMS relay on another device, unless that device is my computer with the benefit of a full tactile keyboard.

Of course, I also have iMessage off on my iPad, so maybe I'm the wrong kind of user for this feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.