Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoiseGUI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Works on Mavericks just fine. Just have to fully uninstall and reinstall everything, as usual.

Mine is a mid-2009 MBP, and I definitey rely on Coolbook. Keeps me at least 20C cooler, and extends my battery by 25% ish.... Awesome. :)

Note that Coolbook reportedly Does NOT work on i5 and newer Intel Mac Machines. Just us special Core 2 Duo Peeps, and earlier. I also hear it works on iMacs and Mac Pros, with these earlier processors.

For those having issues or needing details, they are below. This processes addresses all the hiccups I have encountered in my 4 years of using Coolbook. Annoying, but hey, great benefit with no useful alternatives, and yes Coolbook is well worth the $10 in my opinion.

0. If you have never had Coolbook installed, first goto http://www.coolbook.se and see if it even works for your machine. If it will, great! You can go straight to step 7. Upgraders should first...

1. BEFORE updating OSx, ever, delete SleepEnabler.kext from System/Library/Extensions
2. Empty Trash
3. Reinstall AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext (hopefully you saved them Like I have learned to)(I use Kext Helper B7)
4. Open Coolbook and do two things
- Take screen shots of your current settings for future reference
- Open preferences, and Uninstall
5. Restart

6. Upgrade your OSx. Without steps 1-5, my upgrades typically failed, or I enjoyed kernel panics. Your mileage may vary. If you accidentally upgraded first, and your MB works, then simply skip step 3 above, and you will hopefully avoid kernel panics. Once OSx is updated to Lion (10.7.x), Mountain Lion(10.8.x), or Mavericks (10.9.x)...

7. Copy the files you will need now and for future OSx upgrades into a folder you can find again:
- Coolbook.dmg (v2.22 is current) from http://www.coolbook.se
- Sleepenabler.kext from code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/ (10.7-8 is current, & works for 10.9)
- Kext Helper B7, or other kext install utility
- In System/Library/Extensions, copy the following two files: (Note that Alt-Go menu takes you to root Library instead of System/Library, where 'Extensions' resides)
+ AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
+ AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext
- The screen shots you got earlier of your cookbook settings
- A web link to this page in case you need another walkthrough. ;-)

8.Delete the two AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kexts from that Extensions folder
9. Install the SleepEnabler Kext (again, I use Kext Helper B7)
10. Restart

11. Open Coolbook.dmg, and install
12. Open Coolbook. (Note it is not signed for Mavericks and You will Need to Control-click the application, then select Open on the first time)
13. It should ask if you want to install, you will say yes, and have to reboot (sigh)

14. Open Coolbook, Add your password and registration settings
15a. If you have your voltage settings, you can just enter them and save without testing. If they worked before, they should still work now.
15b. If you do not have your voltage settings, you'll have to find another reference for that whole process.
15. Restart and done

For some reason, it seems the program has to be open on my machine in order for the settings to actually work. I always restart while selecting "open programs on restart", then just press Alt-H to hide cookbook when it comes up, if it comes up.

To monitor that it is working, go to preferences and select menu display. You can then click the menu in the top bar and select all options except 'hide menu'.

Good luck!

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
Thank you so much, just what I needed! After upgrading from Snow Leopard, Coolbook was the most missed thing.

Some questions regarding coolbook.

I had Coolbook installed on Snow Leopard but went with a clean install for Mavericks. Should I just skip to step 7?

How do you actually know whether Coolbook works or not? The only thing I have noticed is that "options testing" no longer works. On SL whenver you set a new configuration it would allow you to test it under 100% CPU usage, but that option does not seem to be working anymore on Mavericks.

Now, what I did notice is that while playing some games without having coolbook enabled it wouldn't lag, but after reducing the voltage while keeping the same frequency, it started lagging. Is it actually working or is just another thing missing around?

Thanks for the guide and will post results once I get my Mac back.

therobbot

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2015
It's very easy to get Coolbook to work under Mavericks. All you have to do is edit the plist file for your Macbook in /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources.

Remove the control loop for the CPU from it. Afterwards, repair permissions and reboot. Then install Coolbook.

I found this solution in https://github.com/ayurmedia/xnu-speedstep-air

Reactions: asoksevil

Loyd-01a

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
It's very easy to get Coolbook to work under Mavericks. All you have to do is edit the plist file for your Macbook in /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources.

Remove the control loop for the CPU from it. Afterwards, repair permissions and reboot. Then install Coolbook.

I found this solution in https://github.com/ayurmedia/xnu-speedstep-air
Hello,

I need a clarification from you please.
I try to install Coolbook on my macbook7,1 by following your comment.
The problem is that I have a lot of entries for control loop (CtrlLoop, Control_Loop), please see my plist copied to txt and attached below.

Could you me tell me which portion of my plist I have to remove in order to get Coolbook working ?
Also, for you do CoolBook completely works after editing the plist or it is only used to display the voltages as described in the xnu-speedstep-air link ?
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Macbook7,1.txt
    7.2 KB · Views: 508

Loyd-01a

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
Hello,

I need a clarification from you please.
I try to install Coolbook on my macbook7,1 by following your comment.
The problem is that I have a lot of entries for control loop (CtrlLoop, Control_Loop), please see my plist copied to txt and attached below.

Could you me tell me which portion of my plist I have to remove in order to get Coolbook working ?
Also, for you do CoolBook completely works after editing the plist or it is only used to display the voltages as described in the xnu-speedstep-air link ?
Thank you in advance.
I answer my self:
rename
CtrlLoopArray into CtrlLoopArray_OFF in the plist of MacBook7,1 found here : /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources.

Thanks to Daniel - AyurMedia (https://github.com/ayurmedia/xnu-speedstep-air and http://www.AyurMedia.de)

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
I answer my self:
rename
CtrlLoopArray into CtrlLoopArray_OFF in the plist of MacBook7,1 found here : /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources.

Thanks to Daniel - AyurMedia (https://github.com/ayurmedia/xnu-speedstep-air and http://www.AyurMedia.de)

I have renamed the CtrlLoopArray to CtrlLoopArray_OFF on my MacBookAir3,2 list and although it seems it is working, I cannot get any voltage lower than the 0.9250.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Reactions: Loyd-01a

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
I had uninstalled coolbook. To be honest my Mac got super cool right after changing the thermal paste and adding some thermal pads.

Our machines are already weak compared to what's in the market and if we keep undervolting/underclocking it won't be able to run anything whatsoever. I wasn't even able to watch a 1080p stream after undervolting it just for a couple of watts.

Loyd-01a

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
I had uninstalled coolbook. To be honest my Mac got super cool right after changing the thermal paste and adding some thermal pads.

Our machines are already weak compared to what's in the market and if we keep undervolting/underclocking it won't be able to run anything whatsoever. I wasn't even able to watch a 1080p stream after undervolting it just for a couple of watts.
Underclocking !!! No you can't do it under Mac (windows yes...).
On the other hand, undervolting doesn't affect performance.
Do you use all Pstates available for you MBA ?

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
Underclocking !!! No you can't do it under Mac (windows yes...).
On the other hand, undervolting doesn't affect performance.
Do you use all Pstates available for you MBA ?

I only did undervolting but what I am trying to say is that on my old 2010, lowering it already low power output is not really doable. As soon as I lower the voltage/frequency it just can't handle a 1080p stream. The whole screen jitters, stutters... and even for normal stuff like web browsing I can notice how lowering it does affect when switching websites, loading, etc. It's like if you were using your Mac when you have less than 10% battery life.

I am not sure about what Pstates are... but never mind, I am not thinking on getting back to coolbook, it just doesn't improve my experience.

Loyd-01a

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
I only did undervolting but what I am trying to say is that on my old 2010, lowering it already low power output is not really doable. As soon as I lower the voltage/frequency it just can't handle a 1080p stream. The whole screen jitters, stutters... and even for normal stuff like web browsing I can notice how lowering it does affect when switching websites, loading, etc. It's like if you were using your Mac when you have less than 10% battery life.

I am not sure about what Pstates are... but never mind, I am not thinking on getting back to coolbook, it just doesn't improve my experience.
I understand.
If you don't need it any more, could you please send me your license (loyddyol1@gmail.com).
I need it for another mac !
Thank you

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
I understand.
If you don't need it any more, could you please send me your license (loyddyol1@gmail.com).
I need it for another mac !
Thank you

Turns out, cookbook did help me achieve better temperatures.

So without cookbook my maximum temperatures when gaming would be 78º C hovering between 70-75º C, with cookbook, maximum is 74º C and hovers between 65-70º C. The lowest voltage could get was 0.9250 , I can see lower values but even if I choose then, coolbook won't enable them.

Undervolting is harmless to your Mac and it drastically lowers your CPU temperature while having the same performance.

Loyd-01a

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
Turns out, cookbook did help me achieve better temperatures.

So without cookbook my maximum temperatures when gaming would be 78º C hovering between 70-75º C, with cookbook, maximum is 74º C and hovers between 65-70º C. The lowest voltage could get was 0.9250 , I can see lower values but even if I choose then, coolbook won't enable them.

Undervolting is harmless to your Mac and it drastically lowers your CPU temperature while having the same performance.
I think it's possible to lower !
But CoolBook will not be possible under macOS Sierra (Work for me under El Capitan). I tested it with the latest public beta, but it does not even start ...

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
I think it's possible to lower !
But CoolBook will not be possible under macOS Sierra (Work for me under El Capitan). I tested it with the latest public beta, but it does not even start ...

I've talked to the original developer and he said that on the 2010 MBA 13", 0.9250 V is the lowest you can go using software. How are you achieving lower voltage?

BTW, how did you manage to get it working under El Cap?

Last edited:

Loyd-01a

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
I've talked to the original developer and he said that on the 2010 MBA 13", 0.9250 V is the lowest you can go using software. How are you achieving lower voltage?

BTW, how did you manage to get it working under El Cap?
The best that you can do is to tell the developper to update it in order to work under macOS Sierra since this last is not very different from El Capitan

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
The best that you can do is to tell the developper to update it in order to work under macOS Sierra since this last is not very different from El Capitan

He didn't even update it for ML, Mavericks so don't expect it to work for El Cap (I have a confirmation from his side that it won't be updated for Mavericks). He also confirmed 0.9250 is the lowest a 2010 MBA can go :(

Would you mind sharing how you got it to work for El Cap? The same as for Mavericks?

Thanks!

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK

I am seriously considering updating to El Cap but I need to know whether I can get Coolbook working. Is it the same fix as on Mavericks?

Thanks!

Loyd-01a

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
I am seriously considering updating to El Cap but I need to know whether I can get Coolbook working. Is it the same fix as on Mavericks?

Thanks!
Hello !

Yes it works under El Capitan without any problem ! (but not under macOS Sierra... yet).
Just use the same trick I explained in my post #5.
For voltage lower than the 0.9250, I have already answered your question in my post #7.
Test it !

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
Hello !

Yes it works under El Capitan without any problem ! (but not under macOS Sierra... yet).
Just use the same trick I explained in my post #5.
For voltage lower than the 0.9250, I have already answered your question in my post #7.
Test it !

Thanks,

Will try later.

The dev said on 2010 MBA 0.9250 is the minimum available though I find it weird because I can see from iStat lower voltages.

Reactions: Loyd-01a

Loyd-01a

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK

Thanks for the links.

So I've done some testing but none of them seemed to work.

My original plist file looked like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>se.coolbook.switcher</string>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>/usr/bin/CoolBookSwitcher</string>
<string>-a</string>
<string>1809:</string>
<string>-b</string>
<string>34321:1553:1809:</string>
<string>-l</string>
<string>40:80</string>
<string>-i</string>
<string>1</string>
<string>-o</string>
<string>0</string>
<string></string>
<string></string>
<string></string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

I just changed the "34321" value for the one suggested on the other thread but it didn't work not even after restarting (cookbook and iStat menus report the same 0.9250)

I've looked on this thread: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewto...sid=55804f82c82d10a449fd23e9b02ea2ba&start=40 but couldn't get any conclusions.

Now, what it's strange is that my plist file changed from that one to this one:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<array>
<string>-a</string>
<string>1805:</string>
<string>-b</string>
<string>1549:1805:</string>
<string>-l</string>
<string>-i</string>
<string>1</string>
<string>-o</string>
<string>0</string>
<string></string>
<string></string>
<string></string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

Somehow the values did change but it's not effective.

Loyd-01a

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
Thanks for the links.

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<array>
<string>-a</string>
<string>-b</string>
<string>-l</string>
<string>-i</string>
<string>1</string>
<string>-o</string>
<string>0</string>
<string></string>
<string></string>
<string></string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

I just changed the "34321" value for the one suggested on the other thread but it didn't work not even after restarting (cookbook and iStat menus report the same 0.9250)

I've looked on this thread: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewto...sid=55804f82c82d10a449fd23e9b02ea2ba&start=40 but couldn't get any conclusions.

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<array>
<string>-a</string>
<string>-b</string>
<string>-l</string>
<string>-i</string>
<string>1</string>
<string>-o</string>
<string>0</string>
<string></string>
<string></string>
<string></string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

Where you can see voltages below 0.9250 in istat menu ?
Post a screenshot !

Loyd-01a

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
Thanks for the links.

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<array>
<string>-a</string>
<string>-b</string>
<string>-l</string>
<string>-i</string>
<string>1</string>
<string>-o</string>
<string>0</string>
<string></string>
<string></string>
<string></string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<array>
<string>-a</string>
<string>-b</string>
<string>-l</string>
<string>-i</string>
<string>1</string>
<string>-o</string>
<string>0</string>
<string></string>
<string></string>
<string></string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

Finally, just managed to install CoolBook under macOS Sierra.
I also managed to get voltages lower (see image). iSatMenu shows that voltages drop below 0.9250v
CoolBook.png

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
Where you can see voltages below 0.9250 in istat menu ?
Post a screenshot !

Finally, just managed to install CoolBook under macOS Sierra.
I also managed to get voltages lower (see image). iSatMenu shows that voltages drop below 0.9250v
View attachment 659371

Apologies,

This message got lost in the loop.

iStat can indeed show lower voltage but I believe it only happens when it's using its Apple's own "internal power management" but when I set it up with cookbook, there's no effect whatsoever.

Try setting all frequencies to 0.9000V or anything that it's stable and do something CPU intensive. See if iStat is reporting the exact voltage as on your CB settings on it's different.

Also, did you use the same steps to enable this on Sierra or is there any different procedures?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.