Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
Hello I purchased a laptop cooler pad but when I connect it with my Macbook it does not work. Do I have to install drivers or something to work? It works with my win 10 laptop without just a usb connection but I don't find an answer online why it does not cool on the Mac.

I use my powerbank so I do cool my Mac but I would like to try it without.

I took images of the brand name and second image shows how I manage to work.
Probably some of the Mac people use this thing. I use laptop on a pillow while sitting on a couch and this is must have for me & powerbank will annoy me.
IMG_3777.JPG
IMG_2919.JPG

On this laptop it just worked second after I plugged usb and I didn't have to wait or install anything so it is not a problem in the device.

IMG_5978.JPG

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
Those only draw current from the USB ports power delivery. So, if the minimum Voltage and Current aren't being met, then there will be no operation. What are the power requirements? It's printed on the box and most likely on the cooling pad. Another likely reason, is you're using an adapter to connect the USB-A cable to the USB-C ports on the MBP. The adapter isn't passing the correct Voltage and Current.

Reactions: 9873697

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
If you select Apple Menu > About this Mac > System Report > USB then you can see "Current Available" and "Current Required" for the various USB devices.

Reactions: 9873697

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
If you select Apple Menu > About this Mac > System Report > USB then you can see "Current Available" and "Current Required" for the various USB devices.
That only occurs if there's a negotiated data connection with the OS from the peripheral. So, it's possible the USB ports have power disconnected from the USB-C port until activated by a hardware device. Since, this is just a cooler, then it would require this software recognition and not just from there being a cable plugged into it. I would think that the adapter should provide this ability to software activate the port with the OS. However, the adapter is probably limited or the OS limits total power supplied through the port since it's an adapter.

Reactions: frou

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
Thank for all the replys. @CHA05 R31GN5 good to know that, I will check the box. Another product said Windows 10 compatibile so I avoided that. I tought catch is in the operating system.

@frou when I get home I will try this. Thanks you.

@ActionableMango as I get home I will check the box and system settings and let you all know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.