Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kybldmstr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I can't seem to get copy and paste working from Mac to iOS device. Has anyone done this yet? Is there a switch to be turned on somewhere?

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I have not managed to make it work, although curiously, it is not listed under the missing functionality sections of either macOS or iOS release notes.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
It does work between my iPhone 6s and MacBook Pro.. Heck, it works more reliable than I thought it would be (considering the amount of times things like AirDrop for example won't work properly).

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Could someone provide some screenshots of how this functionality works if it wouldn't be too bothersome?

I can't at the moment, but it works exactly as you would expect. Hit copy on one device, and the paste function becomes available on other devices as soon as you've copied something to the clipboard. It does not change the fundamental way that copy/paste works, or add some sort of "copy to universal clipboard" button.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Does this require Bluetooth 4.0/handoff, or will this work on plain Wi-Fi? I've got a 2011 MBP, so am wondering.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I select text, right click to copy, and I am not seeing anything on my MBP.

Currently it is only working for me if I copy on an iOS device and paste to the Mac. Copying things to the clipboard on my Mac does not extend to iOS at the moment. It does overwrite whatever iOS had copied to the clipboard, though. I am wondering if maybe PopClip is interfering with the functionality somehow. I may uninstall and test more.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Currently it is only working for me if I copy on an iOS device and paste to the Mac. Copying things to the clipboard on my Mac does not extend to iOS at the moment. It does overwrite whatever iOS had copied to the clipboard, though. I am wondering if maybe PopClip is interfering with the functionality somehow. I may uninstall and test more.
Thanks for the reply. I just tried from iOS to Mac, and it works. Half way there to it working 100%. :cool: I don't have any third party apps loaded, that might interfere with the reverse process, as far as I know. Maybe it is just a bug that we need to report.

zaneliu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2013
Berkeley
Just got iOS10 on my iPad. Works iPad to phone and iPad to Mac. But not the other way around from the Mac or iPhone

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I have tried it cross-app, but only from a first party app to another. Ie, Safari to Notes and vice versa. I want to try with some third party stuff later today when I have the time. I got images to work last night, but when I copied the GIF from my iPhone it pasted to the Mac as a static image :( To be fair, though, this happens sometimes when I copy a GIF in Safari and paste it in iMessage on the same device, so who knows.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I was finally able to get it to work from MBP to iPhone 6 using the same method as I tried previously.

I really like this feature and hope that Apple can get the stability bugs ironed out, when Sierra is finally released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.